Buddy Diving - Why do you continue diving with a bad buddy?

Why do you keep diving with the same bad buddy over and over?

• They're my spouse / family... I mean, whatta ya gonna do?

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Out of the water, its great with them. In water, not so much.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I can't find another buddy. This is the only person I can dive with.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I keep hoping its going to get better.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Is it me? Can it be me? Am I the reason this team isn't working?

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don't dive with Bad Buddies. I'm just replying to this poll to try to slant the results.

Votes: 38 62.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The worst buddy I ever had was when I used to solo dive.

The current one... well, he sometimes reads my posts, so...:D

BTW, your poll left out,
"In the water it's great with them. Out of the water, not so much."

I slanted the poll. You did not have the option: I only dive with a bad buddy once.
All it takes is one dive and a surface interval conversation, or lack of, to know whether they are fixable or not.

I have dove with some divers that weren't the best, but really I don't think I've dove with somebody I'd call a bad buddy. I figure we're all learning and as long as we're trying then I'd dive with them unless it's clear they're dangerous to themselves and others. I'd tell them so in that case and not dive with them.

See, this is funny. Throughout the day I'm scanning SB, and there are several people (a bunch, really) talking about their regular buddies in the context of being a dissapointment. Now its poll time and all of a sudden nobody's diving with a bad buddy more than once.

Whatever. Just thought I'd try to figure out what motivates people to stick with buddies they're not happy with.

It will remain a mystery.

---
Ken

Cause he's my brother and I love him? jk... he's not bad, just an infrequent diver (2-3 times a year). Sad, cause he lives in Key Biscayne, which has some great diving... and I live in Orlando, which has none within a 30 min drive.

I don't dive with bad buddy

Ok...I am one of those hiding in the bushes...

My buddy is a safe diver, what makes him "bad" is that he silts...
He is working on it but old habits are hard to break, it´s still worth the embarresment I feel at the billowing clouds of silt he leaves behind...

I´ve just invested too much in this buddy (and we´re good friends) to cut my losses and as I said, he´s trying to change...

Robert Phillips:
You did not have the option: I only dive with a bad buddy once.
All it takes is one dive and a surface interval conversation, or lack of, to know whether they are fixable or not.
Absolutely agree, except for the fixable part, I am not experienced or qualified enough to attempt to fix anyone. The only bad buddy I'll dive with more than once is my son and he's just young & inexperienced, I hope he gets better once he dives more and matures.

What I hate is the dishonest buddy, I attempt to get information out of potential buddies without it sounding like a job interview or 20 questions, if they don't offer it up, this approach hasn't worked very well for me lately. I prefer the diver who is straight up with me about their experience and doesn't exaggerate to make themselves sound better because it's usually very obvious once they hit the water or trip over their lies on a surface interval. I respect the buddy that says "I'm rusty" or "I'm new and still learning" at least I know what I'm getting into.

I have a couple good buddies in California and try to only dive with them and people I've dove with through them or Scubaboard events [I've not had a bad buddy at a SB event (knock-on-wood)] and I am starting to meet some good buddies for my local lake dives, but that has been a painful process, so hopefully my bad buddy days [except dives with son :wink: ] are numbered unless I book a boat or vacation solo :D

Garrett

My girlfriend is my dive buddy. She sticks to me like clue...if my fins or another body part does not touch or hit her every 5 seconds or so then I turn around and see whats up.

On the other hand if im not diving with her I am probably your bad dive buddy. I really dont want a buddy either and avoid it at all cost. I admit that I dont follow dive plans very well.

Dont want to dive with me? Even better, less I have to worry about. If paired with a diver I have a very open, honest and friendly conversation stating my thoughts on how I will make the dive. Suggest that he/she essentially will be diving alone if paired with me. This probably does not sit well with most here but again I am honest about it so at least you know upfront...maybe that is considered a good dive buddy?

I dive a lot with pick-up buddies. Only one has been "bad", and was a capable diver, but a dangerous risk-taker, and was my buddy for only 7/8 of a dive (took off from the ascent line, I wouldn't follow).

I've dived with newbies too, and have found it rewarding--you may give up a couple hundred psi, but you've helped someone get a good intro to buddy diving (just as I received when I was the newbie) and have helped the sport. It's like 'paying it forward', the occasional help-out and problem-solving makes me a better diver, too, and I've learned more from the dives that didn't go perfectly than the ones that did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom