Buddy line use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
We use buddy lines sometimes when viz is zero on Venice Beach and we are fossil hunting. Its only in 16ft of water, so not much trouble there, but its nice to keep a buddy around and of course touch contact kind of limits the amount of digging you can do in the clay for teeth - hence we just hold the buddy line on our wrists, easy to drop if there are troubles, but still there if you need to give a sharp tug or two. I wouldnt use one anywhere else though or at least havent found the need for one yet in other types of diving.

Same situation I use a buddyline in. Zero vis, shallow, slow current river "diving" searching for stuff.

Rick Murchison:
The conditions where a sissy (buddy) line is the best choice are pretty narrow, but they do exist. From a visibility standpoint, when it's varying from zero (touch-contact) to 3 or 4 feet a properly deployed & used buddy line is a good choice. In searches a buddy line is often useful - depending on the object of the search.
In all cases where the sissy line is a "buddy line" it should be held and not clipped.
Rick
I am one who believes there are techniques and equipment for many specialized situation and don't rule out anything without prior investigation. My condenation of the buddy line is as it is used by the Navy where a member of the team has a surface marker line tied around the waist and a buddy line tied to the wrist using a cinch knot.
This is a very unsafe condition in my mind and although it has been instrumental in several diving accidents, is still being employed by ship's divers. They have now included fastex buckles for quick release but I am not convinced this a safe way to go either.

That's not a proper use of a buddy line. A buddy line should be quickly ditchable. I keep one in my BC pocket at all times.

It's interesting that this thread came up after I was just recently out with another open water class in yet again, terrible visibility. I made a joke about using a retractable dog leash and just reeling them in if they go out to far. hehe... I'm kidding of course, and I would never want to see any diver actually attached to another, but bad visibilty, especially with open water students stirring things up, is a fact of life in these parts. We use a line across the bottom for skills, but of course they need to let go of that line to go on their tours. Instructors and DMs use lights for improved visibility and communication, and try to surround students as well as possible with staff, or break off into small groups, where applicible, but it can still be a challenge. I've used the hand-holding technique, but I like to have my hands free for lights, compass, signalling and checking gauges (not to mention it can throw off your buoyancy being linked to a new diver like this) I've also used gauge holding, and to stay together on descent (once they're beyond decending with the float line) it can work ok, but I don't like it for actual diving as we should all be able to check our own gauges at all times, and of course not let them dangle. Of course keeping open water students in sight and safe is priorty one, so I am curious about the buddy line. I've never tried it myself. If it were relatively short, and only held, never attached, it sounds like it could be useful with students? Are there any other DMs (or instructors) out there who have thoughts on this, or have tried it?

When I used them, I created a buddy line out of 6 feet of 3/8-inch bungee. You just put a loop in either end sufficient to slide over your fingers and surround your palm (do NOT put it on your wrist). If necessary, to release the buddy line all you need do is open your hand and let it slide over your fingers.

Bungee works well because it's stretchable ... so you can put slight tension on it and still have a degree of freedom that you won't get from rope.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. It's interesting. There's certainly differences of opinion about the use of a buddy line, and as is usually the case in anything, pros and cons. I'm absolutely not thinking of using one for personal fun dives, and I'm not even sure how my shop feels about them. I think it's important for new divers who will be diving the majority of time in poor viz. (hello, welcome to Vancouver... lol ...especially shallow water) to learn from the start how important it is to keep an eye on your buddy and stick with them, but perhaps just using them on O/W dive 1 on the worst of days? As I mentioned previously, I dislike the holding hands practice. Even a 2 foot rope would beat that, as it would allow better personal buoyancy control, and allow use of that hand for say, my light as well. A short rope would eliminate the entanglement danger I would think. Anyway, I was more curious if instructors and divemasters used them specifically for open water classes and what their thoughts were... and all you 100 foot viz. tropical divers ...go ahead and have your laugh :p

As for using bungee cord... I wouldn't want to pull it taught and have one diver let go! Good thing for "protective eye wear" in that case! lol

Hi,

I haven't tried this underwater with a buddy-line, but learned long ago a technique for holding a loop of line that lets you keep your grip till you damn near rip your arm off, but lets you loose your grip instantly when desired (this is how the NYPD taught me to grip a baton cord).

Hook loop over thumb, wrap loop around back of hand, around over palm, out between thumb and forefinger. The loop is what's around your hand (not wrist), held by thumb as anchor.

You can retain hold of the line easily with light grip (thumb on forefinger) or even just hand attitude. A tight grip and that line will go nowhere (you will want to let it go because of the pain before it would slip off).

Open hand fully, and the loop slides right off with any pull on the line.

Now I wonder if this would work for a buddy line ... it would at least mitigate the attachment risk.

If anyone has used this grip, do let me know, and I think I'll give it a try just to know, next time I'm on a practice dive in the old quarry ...

Cheers,

W

wcl:
Hi,
I haven't tried this underwater with a buddy-line, but learned long ago a technique for holding a loop of line that lets you keep your grip till you damn near rip your arm off, but lets you loose your grip instantly when desired (this is how the NYPD taught me to grip a baton cord).
Hook loop over thumb, wrap loop around back of hand, around over palm, out between thumb and forefinger. The loop is what's around your hand (not wrist), held by thumb as anchor.
You can retain hold of the line easily with light grip (thumb on forefinger) or even just hand attitude. A tight grip and that line will go nowhere (you will want to let it go because of the pain before it would slip off).
Open hand fully, and the loop slides right off with any pull on the line.
W

That's just right! The same technic is used here. The line is about 3 to 5 meters (10' to15') depending circumstances and what you like. In the midle of the rope small boyo to keep loose rope up rather than back to avoid messing up around fins etc. In low vis diving with a buddy everybody uses ropes here (pro's instuctors rescue divers) and rookies always! Personally I don't like it, and ditc when possible, but anyway how many missing divers could've been saved...

DiverDebbie:
As for using bungee cord... I wouldn't want to pull it taught and have one diver let go! Good thing for "protective eye wear" in that case! lol

Actually, water being the dense medium that it is, the reaction is a lot less than you'd think it would be.

Been there ... done that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom