Buddy separation at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm ... difficult to respond to your "What about it?"

Do you have a question, or are you just looking to start a thread discussing separation?

There's only one thing I can think to say regarding this topic - follow your training! Buddy separation is covered in OW - I was told to look for my buddy for a minute before making a slow ascent to the surface ... from there, buddies can (hopefully) reunite ... or else, start a search party :depressed:

I've never been separated from my buddy before, or rather I've never been separated for any longer than 20 seconds ... we're on opposite sides of a ridge or something ...

But we have lost our guide! He was moving a little too quickly at night, and my buddy was taking a pic ... before long, we didn't know where he was. We followed our training! We looked for about a minute, then we ascended and met up on the surface with the DM. We then continued the dive (since NDL & air were OK for this ...)

AT DEPTH introduces some new considerations. If I were separated, I would perform a safety stop before resurfacing. This may sound odd - my buddy could be in need of help, could be unresponsive at the bottom, but rescue training states that you must not expose yourself to undue risk in order to help another.

Again - I would reunite at the surface, and if not possible, I would start a search party :(

I'd add one adendum to Currier's post...

When I'm making slow circles looking for the buddy, I turn on a flashlight. I've found this helps get attention much better. This has saved me from surfacing in a few low vis situations.

I'd slowly assend to the surface (still looking around). The dive boats I use tend to suggest don't do the safety stop, but try meet them on the surface then resume the dive. If they don't surface, get help.

It is a major failure, and avoidable in almost all circumstances.

Like running out of gas, it is something for which you should have a strategy in place before entering the water.

I've done more than 500 dives in Puget Sound, where viz is 20 to 30 feet on a very good day, and much less than that most of the rest of the time, and in the last three years, I can think of one buddy separation event that lasted long enough for me to have to begin aborting the dive -- and I found my buddy about 25 feet above me. He had been in front, and got caught in an upcurrent I didn't get into. We reunited and finished the dive.

Buddy separation is avoidable and should be avoided.

How long would you spend looking for a buddy if you got separated on a deep wreck with a ripping current and a 50 metre swim to the mooring line, and where ascent into the blue in a strong current is not at all a good option.

I am wondering as it seems to be a gamble of spending time and possibly finding your buddy versus getting to the surface as soon as possible and thus minimising chance of something occuring such as an equipment failure while swimming around alone.

Lol...i didnt start the thread...there was a post before mine!

Lol...i didnt start the thread...there was a post before mine!
Really? Where were you (in what forum) when you replied? Maybe the originating post is still there--if it is, I'll go look for it and reunite it with the thread where it belongs.

The original post was mine which I edited because it was a convoluted stream of thought with no structure. I did not have any replies at the time.
:)

The original post was mine which I edited because it was a convoluted stream of thought with no structure. I did not have any replies at the time.
:)
Hmm. I don't see where it went, though. Users don't have the ability to simply delete a post, so there should be some trace of it. Oh well. Care to share, anyway, Joeyk? Was your question the one you put in post #5?

Yeah I got separated from my buddy.

I was wondering what would be a good separation protocol to use - ascend after a set time frame, or wait at last known common point? I suppose it is dependent on a lot of factors such as how much air etc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom