Budget Scuba Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rider04

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to take a trip that will not break the bank plus get away from some of our subzero temperatures. Does anyone have favorite destinations or tips that they could share with me? I have dived a little in Puerta Vallarta and Jamaica. I would like to dive someplace new. Thanks for any feedback that anyone can provide.

I am looking to take a trip that will not break the bank plus get away from some of our subzero temperatures. Does anyone have favorite destinations or tips that they could share with me? I have dived a little in Puerta Vallarta and Jamaica. I would like to dive someplace new. Thanks for any feedback that anyone can provide.

what type of budget are you looking at? How many days and is it just you or another diver?

Cozumel is by far the cheapest place in Caribbean area. There are killer deals there year round. Check out Caradonna Dive Adventures and Bay Adventures and Island Dreams for dive travel deals. Also, if you want to do it all separately, look at some of the dive shop websites.

Are you talking about a trip for right now? January? From what I am reading, there is a cold front blowing through there right now which has cancelled diving for several days. Be aware, it is still winter in the Caribbean! January is iffy in most locations due to "norte" winds and small storms which makes seas too rough for boats to go out. The only places that seem to be exempt from this problem are in the far south Caribbean (Bonaire, for instance) but those are not cheap places to get to anytime of year.

robin:D

I'm with Robin. Coz is the best bang for your buck.

Cheap hotels, Cheap (amazing) food, Nice people, great diving. I've been to Coz in December and even with a Norte blowing its still much warmer than up your way. Check out expedia for some prices but I've found Cozumel to be the most affordable destination.

Again, we lack information to help you much. Too many variables present as things stand now, so give us more data. I sympathize with you, as I am just about next door over in the Twin Cities. (How did you like that last little bubble of arctic air we got? At least we are in for a little warmer temps for awhile, it seems. But I digress..)
Transport is gonna be a large share of your budget, I am afraid, depending on where you go, and I am not sure how well North Dakota is served by the airlines. You may have to come down here to Mpls. to get reasonable fares. Sun Country is usually one of the better ones to places like Cozumel, and you can usually pick up deals on lodging and diving down there fairly reasonably, but that's a whole 'nother forum.:popcorn:
Whatever, let us know what you like and what you can afford, and we will try to help you. Woody

The blackbeard liveaboard might be good for you!

Air travel to Bonaire might not be cheap, but once you get there the on-island costs (accommodations, unlimited shore diving, and truck rental) are very reasonable. If you consider the cost per dive (total vacation dollars/number of dives), you might see the true value of a Bonaire vacation. Last I checked, it compares quite favorably to a Cozumel dive trip which factors in the additional costs of boat diving.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a Caribbean dive trip right now. I guess I'll have to suffer through the 74°F day here in San Diego. :D

We just got back from Port Lucaya Bahama's. It was a lot cheaper for us to fly to Fort Lauderdale and take the Discovery Cruise ship for $50 over. Plus it was a good time. We dove with Unexso and they were great. Looking at Bonaire right now for another trip and Plaza Resort is offering a $699 for breakfast, truck, boat dives and unlimited shore dives. Hotel Cozumel has some great prices right now too. We are looking to go their in July. Good luck!

Bonaire CAN be a budget trip depending on a few things. My family got $410 RT tickets from Newark for next month. If you are a tourist, and looking for a place to stay, (my family stays with us, so REALLY CHEAP for them!), look at places off the water, you will do really well.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom