bugs in curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsenloe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife is the most prefered bug food on the planet, whenever we go somewhere with mosquitoes or no see ums , she gets devoured. We have tried 100% deet. We are leaving on a dive trip this week and was wondering if the ABC islands have bug problems , Curacao especially? Any help would be appreciated

Never noticed any bugs on Aruba, perhaps because of the continuous strong winds. Beware of high DEET concentrations --- neurologic side effects may ensue. Also, concentrated DEET isn't better, it just last longer. More frequent applications of lower strength DEET are just as effective, probably safer.

I've been to Curacao a bunch of times, usually very few bugs, but a couple times they've been a real pain. I'm not sure how to predict. I think if it's been raining there will be more. If you've got wind it will help keep them away, usually you do but some times of year it dies down. Curacao is still a fairly dry desert island compared to most of the Carribean, but it seems to be the wettest of the ABCs. It's the largest and has a little more elevation to catch weather, especially at the western end.

Depends where you are too. I was just there in August. We stayed at Lodge Kura Hulanda and there were a fair number of bugs, I'm guessing because they have a lot of irrigated landscaping. We stayed at Habitat for the rest of the trip, it was less of a problem I'm guessing because it's more of a desert landscape, though they can still be a big nuisance in the open air restaurant. Didn't have a problem around town even in outdoor restaurants, which is many of them. I particularly remember bugs being a problem on another trip we did to Habitat that was July/August.

I don't recall bugs ever being a problem in Bonaire (or Aruba), but it's been awhile since I've been there.

We did the Marriott in September, there was a fair bit of breeze and we really didn't notice much of a bug problem.

Mike

we get little (or big) showers frequently, and the pools are good skeeter breeders. 'Couple weeks ago the power went out for about 5-6 hours, (whole island), we ate cold sammishes on the porch (too hot in the house) and kept em at bay with cactus juice. You can find it at almost any dive shop. Bring the calomine and come on down!

tony

Bonaire (next island over, great diving) is absolutly INFESTED with mosquitoes! I've never been bit so many times. The wierd thing there is the mosquitoes are all inside, outside the wind is too strong for them to get you. Still I have to say the diving was worth it..
I spent a few days in Curacao and had some bugage. Just try and make sure you've got no holes in your screens, close your drains (plug them!) and stay in the breeze.

I got a lot of bites towards the end of our recent trip to Bonaire. Bought some bug spray - brand was OSI. DO NOT USE THIS STUFF. I think it ATTRACTED the bugs.

I think there were lots of bugs this trip because a) the wind died down b) rained every day somewhere on the island.

But I survived...still going back there...with a flame thrower! :14:

Don't know about Curacao - but I imagine it's quite similar.

I've been to both Curacao and Bonaire twice now, and have not experienced any major problems with biting bugs. That's not to say there aren't any mosquitos or no-see-ums around, but they usually only come out in numbers after rainy periods.

Generally, I've only gotten bites during the evening hours if I didn't use some bug spray. I've never been to any Caribbean island that didn't have at least some biting bugs at some time. Just use repellant at night and you should be fine.

The only place that I found really bad was Roatan. There, the bites were frequent and the itching severe. Compared to Roatan, the ABC's are a piece of cake.

Returned from Curacao two weeks ago. No bugs, no need for repellent, although we sprayed a little bit around our ankles at dinner time outside. Been to Bonaire three times and never had bug problems. Aruba once, same no bugs. All these trips have been in the late summer, early fall if that is any help.
TedJ

Hi dsenloe,

Unless there have been unusual weather conditions, such as an extended period of heavy rain, insects generally are not a problem in the developed areas of Curacao.

If you are concerned, you might find the following of use:

Avoiding Sand Fleas (aka no see ums), Mosquitoes and Other Bothersome and Disease Carrying Insects
http://www.awoosh.com/Doc Vikingo's Resource Page/Avoiding_ Insect_Bites.htm

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom