Build It and They Will Come?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is currently a daydream and will probably stay a daydream, but I wanted to share it with my fellow scuba friends. I would like to hear your opinions on the feasibility of such a grand business venture.

Imagine if you will a very large one story building. A building on the scale of a large industrial plant. For arguments sake lets say 100,000 square feet. For those who have difficulty visualizing how large a building this size is, it would hold 3 football fields side by side with 10,000 square feet left over.

The building could be a pre-engineered metal building which would keep costs low. It would be a high bay building providing plenty of overhead clearance....lets say 40-50 feet. Inside this building is a massive indoor aquatic park. An aquatic park specifically designed for scuba divers, yet large enough to allow flexibility for other activities. Sort of like the huge water parks which exist today except designed primarily for scuba. The aquatic basin would be made to mimic open water. The depths vary from shallow sandy beaches to approximately 60 feet or deeper. The entire basin would have sandy bottoms with artificial reefs. There would huge synthetic rock cliffs and walls which could compartmentlize the huge basin into different zones. There are caves and tunnels which meander throughout. Small boats could be sunk to provide underwater wrecks. There could possibly even be hidden rooms accessible only through the caves. The surface would be designed such that you would feel as if your outside via use of massive skylights or translucent panels. The synthetic rock formations would protrude from the water and allow for waterfalls. Palm trees abound throughout.

This facility would primarily be used by recreational divers in need of a quick fix. Instead of going to a movie or playing golf, they can just stop by and take an exotic dive. Of course the water would be heated so during the winter doldrums it provides the ulitimate escape. A full service dive shop, training center, and exercise gym occupies the remaining 10,000 square feet. These spaces would include multiple classrooms for instruction, complete locker rooms with large showers. A running/walking track could be implemented around the perimeter of the basin as well.

The large basin would be ideal for instruction/training at all levels. It would be large enough that you could easily teach all the specialties. You could have small boats or mock-ups for teaching boat dives, turn the lights low or off for night dives. You could possibly .....possibly even add a small area for deep dives.

This whole daydream stems from me wishing there was a place like this that I could go to. I know....there is......the ocean...the lakes...etc. Those however are not controlled environments, and thier definately not in my neighborhood. Being an architect, I'm always daydreaming about fantastic structures anyway, and now my love of scuba has me trying to combine the two. I realize that local dive shops today are struggling, but local dive shops are not offering what a facility like this would offer. Recreational diving is expanding at an astounding rate, and I believe it will not be long before scuba diving will be as common as catching a good movie. If the divers fail to materialize, you still have a top notch water park and exercise facility.

If its successfull.........one in every mid to major city.

Build it and they will come????

First thought: how would you treat the water? Chlorine is the obvious answer, but it's nasty. I suppose it would guarantee a good turnover for the associated dive shop! I've been in swimming pools that were treated with ozone, but I don't know how that works. I'm not sure you could guarantee to treat all of the water in such a large 'tank'.

Indoor ski slopes exist, and indoor climbing walls, so I don't see why there shouldn't be an indoor dive centre.

I suggest you build the prototype in Japan.

Z

just make it the worlds largest indoor freshwater tank, complete with fish...

have portals so people at the bar and resturant can watch under water..

a lifetime membership:)

I was thinking of doing something simular with an outdoor olympic sized inground pool.

I LOVE my aquarium and thought, "How difficult could it be to fill my pool with salt water, harvest some coral and throw in a couple hundred different types of sea life?"

Then I could dive my aquarium.

The questions of logistics I came up with were "how to treat the water" and "how to maintain the salt levels of a marine tank in such a large area.

Definately feasable venture...for the independently wealthy.

SpyderTek

Originally posted by Zept
First thought: how would you treat the water? Chlorine is the obvious answer, but it's nasty.

Ahhh... details details. :)

Yes, Chlorine at first thought would seem the easiest way to treat the water. As you said though, its nasty. It doesn't mix well with a great deal of expensive scuba equipment. The whole idea is to make the park mimic "open water" which means no chlorine. In essence you would have to treat it much like a very large aquarium. Plant life would need to be abundant to work as a natural filtration and provide oxygenation. The water would also be on a recirculating filtration system which could include a subterrainean filtration system which would naturally detoxify the water via means of a bacteria bed. Along the filtration loop could be redundant filtration sources such as carbon filters, sand filters, as well as ultra-violet light filters.

Most likely we're talking about a full time position for one or more marine bioligists here. Marine life would be a really nice addition, but a whole new can of worms is opened up when marine life is introduced into the environment. It would be much simpler with no marine life....

This is also based on fresh water....not salt.

BOOinTX,

Thanks for that link to NASA's Neutral Buoyancy Lab. Every time I see footage of that lab on television I am in awe. Its a lot smaller than what I laid out above. Perhaps my initial vision was a bit overzealous? :)

One thing Ive learned in my 15+ years in architecture is to start big. Its easier to downsize the scope of a project than to upsize it. The numbers I used above were off the top of my head without any research whatsoever into market viability. Im sure such a project would have to be scaled back dramatically from the size mentioned in my initial post, especially in a small market like Little Rock, AR where I live.

The general mandate of my "fantasy" park is to provide enough size to make a dive or series of dives interesting, and yet not so small that you've seen everything there is to see in one or two dives. It should be large enough and diverse enough to make a diver want to return.

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
The general mandate of my "fantasy" park is to provide enough size to make a dive or series of dives interesting...

Is size the answer? Maybe you could use modular 'landscaping' and move it around every couple of weeks. Kind of like a climbing wall, where you can make new routes by moving the hand- and footholds. Maybe you could provide actitivities that aren't available elsewhere, rather than trying to mimic an OW environment. A buoyancy control course is an obvious example. How about an underwater balloon-inflating station, so instructors can demonstrate the effect of holding your breath on ascent (bang!)? There must be other toys you could have, too.

Z

instead of a giant indoor make it a like Sea base but better a indoor outdoor. with some creative landscaping you could conseal the back, truly open water diving then you could talk acres instead of sq feet.

a market study answer of my own would be midwesternish, where the population is such that going to your place would be more affordable than that of the ocean..., gotta have a gimick to sell in some cases..

jobs are always a good thing

It's already being done. Check out www.subseaexplorer.com the way I read it the first one is under construction with more in Euope and the US.
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom