Building My Bucket List of Place to Dive in North and South America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cocos Island, yes!

I'll add Patagonia, especially after last summer I went sailing with this Argentinian couple in Monterey and their stories made me salivate. As do those pics of the pacific northwest. Beautiful!

What a fun post. I would agree with Dominica. It has underwater volcanic activity and great sea life. The topside is hard to beat in terms of sheer beauty.
The manta dive in Hawaii is one of the huge highlights of diving.

Just some of my favorite dives here in the good ole continental US of A:

U853 submarine off Block Island, RI
USS Bass submarine off Block Island, RI
USS Burns destroyer off San Diego, CA
Submerged missile towers off San Diego, CA
Eureka/Elly/Ellen Oil Rigs out of the Port of Los Angeles
Southern Channel Islands kelp forests and sea mounts
Coronados Islands (technically in Mexico, but you leave from San Diego)
Esparanza Quarry diving in a marble-walled palace in central Vermont
Cortez/Tanner/Farnsworth Banks sea mounts on the ocean side of the California channel islands (up to 100 miles off shore)
Farallon Island great white shark diving near San Francisco, CA
Blue Shark cage diving in the gulf of Maine
Old wooden shipwrecks in the St. Lawrence seaway
North Florida Caves and Springs systems
Flower Garden Banks off Texas
Duck Island - Isle of Shoals harbor seal diving off the New Hampshire coast
Scallop diving in mouth of the Piscataqua River near the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine.

There's just too much fantastic diving in this country to adequately name it all in a list.

This thread could go on to eternity. We are very lucky.

I have been fortunate enough to dive some of the sites already listed.

Going to go in a different direction here..just 3 interesting dive sites that will always stick out in my mind. Maybe for what I consider the uniqueness of the site. Maybe because I had such a great time.

1. Forty Fathom Grotto: a big hole in the ground in Ocala Florida, surrounded by what looks like Lexington Ky horse farms. You can dive as deep as you want.

2. Devil's Ear cavern/cave system. N. Fla. That log over the entrance still gets me. The flow from the spring is unforgettable.

3. The Hyde Wreck in NC. I will never forget dropping down into the wreck which is surrounded by a multitude of large and small sand tiger sharks. Probably my favorite dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom