Bulgarian's body recovered - Chalkidike, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body of missing diver from Bulgaria located in Porto Valitsa
The body of a 48-year old Bulgarian diver who was missing since Sunday afternoon was located in the sea region of Porto Valitsa, Chalkidiki, on Monday.

The Bulgarian had gone diving with some friends from Bulgaria but did not return to the shore.

A rescue operation was launched immediately in the area of Paliouri, Kassandra.

Port authorities are conducting an investigation.

Here is what I can share. Note that the autopsy has not been completed. A group of 3 divers, all on air, were diving to around 70 meters, a common practice for this group to not use trimix until 90 meters. The deceased became separated from the other two. Viz was about 10 meters. Upon surfacing after their deco obligations, they notified the authorities. The deceased was found at the surface via helicopter.

Porto Valitsa is a relatively benign dive site if appropriate depth limits are observed. However, it is a common practice there (much like in the rest of the Mediterranean) to do bounce dives to the 60m depth range on a single cylinder of air without formal training in technical diving. The 10m visibility suggests significant wave activity. The local media reported that the diver was a "professional diver", but I would not interpret that to mean that he was more than OW certified since most journalists don't know heck about the difference between oxygen and air cylinders, certified divers and dive professionals, etc .

Porto Valitsa is a relatively benign dive site if appropriate depth limits are observed. However, it is a common practice there (much like in the rest of the Mediterranean) to do bounce dives to the 60m depth range on a single cylinder of air without formal training in technical diving. The 10m visibility suggests significant wave activity. The local media reported that the diver was a "professional diver", but I would not interpret that to mean that he was more than OW certified since most journalists don't know heck about the difference between oxygen and air cylinders, certified divers and dive professionals, etc .
The deceased is a friend of a friend. He was a tech diver. His exact certification, I do not know

Is there any clarity about the parameters of the dive yet (equipment used, qualifications, dive plan)? Also cause of death (drowning on the surface/underwater, out of air, as result of blunt trauma, medical condition, etc)?

My friend talked to the ME. It was a stroke. He could have been sitting on his couch and the result would have been the same.

Back
Top Bottom