Bull Shark butchered on the dock in Dania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I was driving home on A1A from a dive up off of Pompano Beach last week, when I decided to roll past another dive boat in Dania Beach where one of my friends instructs. I was very sadened by what I saw behind one of the charter fishing boats. Two men were butchering a large bull shark on the dock. I decided not to stop, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to contain myself.

Since it is illegal to sell the meat, I wondered what this idiot was going to do with his kill. I think a catch, picture, and release would have been a more appropriate way to enjoy the day of fishing.

The image of the shark being butchered on the dock won't leave my head, and therefore, I figured I'd post it here. The shark was quite large, bigger than any bull I've seen while diving. It was obviously a reproducer and at the top of the gene pool.

So sad.

Awhh, geesh, that is sad.

That didn't take long... :frown:

ScubaTexan:
That didn't take long... :frown:

This happened last Thursday afternoon, the 23rd. I doubt it had anything to do with the Gulf Coast incidents, but more to do with money and thrill hungary sportfishing for hire. So much for catch and release.

Well, now, don't we all just rush to judgement?
You could be right... but you're just as likely wrong.
Probably a gut-hooked fish, going to die anyway - choices are to kill it quickly, bring it in and butcher it for meat or "release" it for a nice slow death with a ripped gut.
I'd throw a big party and serve shark chile myself.
(And freeze the rest; give it away to those who want it)
Rick

The fact that they were butchering it implies to me that they plan to eat it. I fail to see the problem.

Shark is quite tasty. I don't see anything wrong with it if they were going to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom