Bull Shark butchered on the dock in Dania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40:
Killing a bull shark is kind of like killing a venomous snake. Its sad to see a creature like that destroyed, but then again, they are dangerous.

No offense, but this is a very troll-like remark.

ANY creature, given the right circumstances, can be "dangerous". However, ALL of them serve a purpose in the ecosystem. Thus, it is illogical to imply that killing them without cause (i.e.: a life-threatening situation) is justified.

JMHO,

SubMariner:
ANY creature, given the right circumstances, can be "dangerous". However, ALL of them serve a purpose in the ecosystem. Thus, it is illogical to imply that killing them without cause (i.e.: a life-threatening situation) is justified.
Is a desire to grill up some shark steaks sufficient cause? I think that's the real question at the heart of this.

If it was just a case of some guys that wanted to kill a bunch of bullsharks "because they are dangerous", I doubt that they would go to the trouble of hauling them back to the docks.

IIRC, Florida requires any fileting or butchering of sharks to be done onshore rather than at sea .... probably as a way to prohibit "finning".

Rick Murchison:
Well, now, don't we all just rush to judgement?
You could be right... but you're just as likely wrong.
Probably a gut-hooked fish, going to die anyway - choices are to kill it quickly, bring it in and butcher it for meat or "release" it for a nice slow death with a ripped gut.
I'd throw a big party and serve shark chile myself.
(And freeze the rest; give it away to those who want it)
Rick

I would guess that you're 100% correct Rick. Some days fish just seem to swallow the hook more. I have to keep jacks and snappers I would normally throw back because they swallowed the hook and for sure will die. Feed the fish with it, or feed me.....

It's a fish. People eat fish. Sometimes fish eat people. I don't see the problem here.

Charlie99:
Is a desire to grill up some shark steaks sufficient cause? I think that's the real question at the heart of this.

Having lived on a sailboat for 2 years & depending on the water for food, I have no problem with this at all. I was merely replying to the "they're dangerous so let's kill them" remark.

Pax,

I think that's awful myself. just because they are dangerous that doesn't mean let's kill them. so, in other words..all animals that are dangerous should be killed? Let them be..i just can't stand the mentality of some people.

SubMariner:
ANY creature, given the right circumstances, can be "dangerous". However, ALL of them serve a purpose in the ecosystem.

Point taken, however all "dangerous" creatures are not created equally. While an angelfish may present a danger if you try to swallow a live one whole, it pales in comparison to the potential danger that a large Bull shark, a species well known for its unpredictability and aggressiveness, offers.
Similarly, a water moccasin is a downright vicious snake and I have no qualms about killing them, especially in agricultural areas where people are in frequent contact. However, a king snake offers little threat to me, so I'll leave it alone. (Funny story, I actually killed a couple cottonmouths using a Hitachi 330EX Trackhoe once when I was digging out ditches on a tomato farm. They say it's a dull blade that'll cut ya... :kopfab: ).

That said, I am by no means advocating killing off all "dangerous" animals, however I'm not going to be upset if someone kills some bull sharks, whatever their motive, so long as they remain within the legal limits put in place to protect our wildlife populations. I've been raised to "eat what you kill, and kill what you'll eat" (threats and roadkill exempt) so of course I would prefer he either eat the shark, or send some meat my way, but that's his business. When he steps out of line with the law, then it becomes my business.

Just my two cents.
-Dom

Scuba65:
I think that's awful myself. just because they are dangerous that doesn't mean let's kill them. so, in other words..all animals that are dangerous should be killed? Let them be..i just can't stand the mentality of some people.

Many times it has nothing to do with being dangerous. When people fish with a pole (or a net for that matter) they don't send a written note in the hook with their request. Whatever bites and gets hooked that's it. Like another poster noted, what good is to send back a fish that won't make it ('couse of hook damage)?

What I think is awful is the catch and release deal. That mentality is way to scary for me; lets' see, after I fight with a fish for as long as it takes to use up all the fish's energy, I'll keep the animal out of the water as long as it takes to take pictures, maybe weigth the poor bast*** and only then, after I'm done with him I'll toss it back.

It is not for the viewer to judge what happened with that particular fish. Maybe the guy that caught it, wanted a snapper but a shark is what came up. This forces him to change his dinner, seems like he dealt with that change. I would suggest spearfishing next time, but that's a different subject.

For instance....sharks that kill people...now people will go out and hunt them down...suppposely cause that shark killed someone....now what % is it going to be that that same shark that kill someone is going to be caught....please. and what purpose does it serve to kill one after let's say it has killed someone. Oh, ya that is teaching that shark a lesson. I also don't believe in catch & release..stupid. It could also be that I just love sharks..they are a facinating species.

Scuba65:
For instance....sharks that kill people...now people will go out and hung them down...suppposely cause that shark killed someone....now what % is it going to be that that same shark that kill someone is going to be caught....please. and what purpose does it serve to kill one after let's say it has killed someone. Oh, ya that is teaching that shark a lesson. I also don't believe in catch & release..stupid. It could also be that I just love sharks..they are a facinating species.

Keep in mind people catch sharks year round, not just after shark attacks. Florida has some elements out there that feel the need to kill sharks or gators after they attack, but I think that goes together with the "Watch this..." behaviour.

Like you, I also think sharks are fascinating species. However, I feel just about the same about tuna (and others). DO you know how fast a tuna can swim? Does it get any consideration from anyone? no way, the most people care is about cute dolphins getting caught while the tuna is being processed. Screw the tuna uh?

We worry a lot about the single sharks that get kill here and there. I don't have the answer but I get the feeling all those energies would be more effective if aimed at the big picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom