Bull SHARK, Up Close - My Heart's still pounding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman:
What is a jewfish?

a very big grouper... think a Nassau grouper x 10

they can get up to 500 lbs, but 100-200 lbs is not uncommon

robbcayman:
What is a jewfish?

Funny, I remember not too long ago scrambling to find out what a "Goliath Grouper" was. When I found out where they were being seen, I suspected but was unaware of the name change from "Jewfish".

Actually, I think the upper limit is around 800 lbs. I've been chased by a 500 lb one.

H2Andy:
a very big grouper... think a Nassau grouper x 10

they can get up to 500 lbs, but 100-200 lbs is not uncommon

see if you can guess the tune to this song:

i was chased by a 500 lb jewfish
jewfish, jewfish
whether the surgery will work is iffish
iffish, iffish
at least my toes fed the reef fish
reef fish, reef fish

Get used to seeing bulls. I spear out of Panama City, and bulls are common all along the FL coast. They can be very aggressive sharks. We had problems with them for virtually every dive we made over the 3 months following Ivan last year.

Don't shoot one with a line shaft unless you're willing to give up your gun. Use a free shaft, or cut your line first so all you lose is the shaft.

and for what reason would you even think about shooting one, especially when you consider the possibility that you might just injure and piss the fish off even more, thereby compounding your own problems. Been there done that and have injuries to show for it... and besides sharks are only doing what they do naturally - so instead I say ditch the stringer or the catch bag, its not worth the fight and both you and the shark get to live another day.

Wayward Son:
Get used to seeing bulls. I spear out of Panama City, and bulls are common all along the FL coast. They can be very aggressive sharks. We had problems with them for virtually every dive we made over the 3 months following Ivan last year.

Don't shoot one with a line shaft unless you're willing to give up your gun. Use a free shaft, or cut your line first so all you lose is the shaft.

I personally do not want to shoot one without a powerhead. Just figured I might point out to any newbies that shooting one with a line shaft is really bad idea, as you are now tethered to it unless you let go of the gun. And maybe not then, if he tangles you up at all after the shot.

I'm not a fan of just giving them my fish. They learn that divers mean easy meals, and can become increasingly aggressive about getting it. I'd rather use my gun to knock them in the nose & get them to leave me alone, if possible, than simply hand over a stringer & condition him to free food.

Not only that, but what about when they're done with their appetizers?

Back
Top Bottom