Bungee for bkup without the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo:
It seems it is either the old octo way or the long hose way and combining the two will always end in a compromise or week point...hhmmm...just thinking out loud...
Yes...use the right equip for the each config. Some things you can get away with some compromise...but this stuff...I wouldn't compromise. The cost of being wrong is too great.

Rick Inman:
I went through this, and let me advise you to save yourself the trouble and just go to the long hose. Trust me, you are on your way, I can smell the kool-aid on your breath. Either swallow or spit it out. Ebay some stuff, log onto 5th D and get it over with. Then find a mentor and dive the thing a couple 'of times - done. Once you've made a post like this, it's only a matter of time anyway...
LOL

Uncle Pug:
Someone sneak up and grab the reg under your chin because it has a yellow face plate? Not likely. :D

But if you are worried about it use the yellow face plate reg as your primary and bungee the other one.

Which will no doubt bring up an objection in your mind, "But my octo is an inferior reg... why would I want to use that as my primary?"

Which brings up a couple of questions in my mind, "Why would you want to hand an inferior reg to an OOA?" and "Why isn't your backup/octo the same reg as your primary?"

Which (last question) would probably be answered, "Because that is what they sold me at the LDS."

Which would also answer the first question.

Yeah. You said it. Very good post. The more I dive the more I end up with a ton of gear left over from previous configurations as my diving gear evolves. I used to ask myself why someone was selling just the old rubber straps from fins or just the octo or a 7mil suit or a new AL80 or my old stab jacket...the list goes on... :banghead:

Rick Inman:
I went through this, and let me advise you to save yourself the trouble and just go to the long hose. Trust me, you are on your way, I can smell the kool-aid on your breath. Either swallow or spit it out. Ebay some stuff, log onto 5th D and get it over with. Then find a mentor and dive the thing a couple 'of times - done. Once you've made a post like this, it's only a matter of time anyway...

I have been tasting it for some time now...LOL!

scubadobadoo:
I have been tasting it for some time now...LOL!
You know you've had it when McMaster-Carr is listed in your favorites.

Rick Inman:
You know you've had it when McMaster-Carr is listed in your favorites.

LOL LOL and still LOL...Yeah that one showed up about 3 months ago. Just view my recent posts and you will find me in the BP/W section, Spring Strap section...LOLOLOL. Sad really. It's a darn good thing my wife is as addicted as I am or I would really be in trouble! Well, atleast Christmas shopping has been easier since we started diving.

I'll say this though---diving has been expensive for both of us but since we started we have had a blast together and we have both lost 35 pounds each realizing that being out of shape divers could kill us. I'll trade all that for several thousand any day. :wink:

I went through this too. Just changing the hoses is cheaper, simpler, and less stressful. Besides, you and your buddy would have the same configuration.

If you're looking for the least expensive option...

25 bucks will get you a 22" backup hose reg from 5thD. Stick your 290 on it...don't worry about the color...and bungee it under your chin. Then take the hose from the 290 and put your s600 on it. Then route it under your arm as your primary (a swivel or elbow fitting at the second stage will reduce mouth fatigue). The length of a standard octo hose is fine for open water use... even some of the most accomplished DIR folks use this hose length for OW.

Now you can donate your primary s600 and go to your bungied backup 290.

or

...if your wife has an identical rig...steal her s600!

I wouldn't suggest a 7 footer if you plan on sticking with a BC. I suppose it could be done...I'm picturing a hose retainer on the BC's right-side waist D-ring or using a weight belt under which you could tuck the long hose. But really a long hose routes best with a BP/wing.

or just bite it...order a BP/wing, a hose set and a second mk25/s600. You'll soon be on your way to doubles! Oh...don't forget a brass and glass SPG and a wrist guage of your favorite flavor!

Stephen Ash:
If you're looking for the least expensive option...

25 bucks will get you a 22" backup hose reg from 5thD. Stick your 290 on it...don't worry about the color...and bungee it under your chin. Then take the hose from the 290 and put your s600 on it. Then route it under your arm as your primary (a swivel or elbow fitting at the second stage will reduce mouth fatigue). The length of a standard octo hose is fine for open water use... even some of the most accomplished DIR folks use this hose length for OW.

Now you can donate your primary s600 and go to your bungied backup 290.

or

...if your wife has an identical rig...steal her s600!

I wouldn't suggest a 7 footer if you plan on sticking with a BC. I suppose it could be done...I'm picturing a hose retainer on the BC's right-side waist D-ring or using a weight belt under which you could tuck the long hose. But really a long hose routes best with a BP/wing.

or just bite it...order a BP/wing, a hose set and a second mk25/s600. You'll soon be on your way to doubles! Oh...don't forget a brass and glass SPG and a wrist guage of your favorite flavor!

I already have the new wrist gauge and the new BP/W. I must say, the BP/W has been one of the best purchases next to spring strap. Good god my lips are stained bright red already! :wink: My wife is less convinced about the possible change than I am. Her thought is, "Out of air? Here's my octo dude!" BTW, I think she really likes her reg so no way I'm taking it!

As for the long hose, I'm still not totally convinced about that LONG hose around my neck eventhough it does make perfect theoretical sense to me. I will always be a recreational diver and won't get into doubles. Sounds like crap, but I know that. I am very aware of my limits. I just don't have the proper mind set or the interest in challenging myself underwater to contiue too far down the tech diving road. We (wife and I) really just like fish watching but we still want to do that in the safest way possible. Even after 125 dives we have no interest in diving below 100 feet and still prefer shallow reefs over deep wrecks. Nonetheless, when the sh3$#T hits the fan we want to know we will be ready. Even conservative divers can run into trouble.

I got a BP/W because it's very versatile in cold and warm water, not because it was more technical. I got a dry suit because it kept me warmer. I got a wrist gauge because it was easier to look at. I took a nitrox course because it may be safer to use in some cases. I took a rescue course to...you get the idea. Other than taking the LA scuba course when we move out west, we are pretty much done with classes for now.

Just some perspective on what kind of divers we are and where we see ourselves in the future. Hopefully that will explain why we are not sure if we are ready to go further with more changes and MORE MONEY too. Thanks again all for your posts. Again, just thinking and writing out loud...sometimes it helps formulate what I really am thinking... :bonk:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom