Bungee Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...

Not sure I understand this. Can you please explain it better? When i ascend I don't inflate my wing I let ther out. Am I missing something here?

I can only try.........

The reason you need to deflate your wing as you ascend, is because as you ascend the water pressure is decreasing, in order to maintain netral bouyancy you need to reduce the pressure in your wing, or in other words keep the wing pressure the same as the water pressure, if the wing pressure is slightly higher you will begin to ascend again, if the wing pressure is lower than the water pressure, you will sink again.

Depending on how high (or low) you hold the inflator, will determine how much air escapes, raise the inflator a little, and you will lose more air (and drop), lower it a little, and you will retain more air (ascend). This really only works in a horizontal position, which is the best way to ascend/decend anyway!

By the way, this is not EXACTLY acurate, but close enough for THIS discussion.

Perhaps someone from the "inner circle" will drop by soon and help with my poor explination skills, although they seem to pretty rare these days..................:rolleyes:

Ok, I know that from basic scuba open water skills, naturally, as you ascend the air is expanding in the BC and you need to get rid of some...ok, but WHAT does all this have to do with wing punctures / bungee wings, etc?

Well.........

If you had a hole in your wing, AND you could orient yourself so that the hole was at the bottom, You would still be able to use the wing, because the pressure inside, should equal the pressure outside. (theoretically) And if the hole was at the bottom, the rising gas would not escape.
Now if you were to take the wing in your hands and squeeze the air out, it wouldn't matter where the hole was, it would still leak out, and you would not be able to ascend.
See what I mean?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Well.........

If you had a hole in your wing, AND you could orient yourself so that the hole was at the bottom, You would still be able to use the wing, because the pressure inside, should equal the pressure outside. (theoretically) And if the hole was at the bottom, the rising gas would not escape.
Now if you were to take the wing in your hands and squeeze the air out, it wouldn't matter where the hole was, it would still leak out, and you would not be able to ascend.
See what I mean?

Ok that I understand now. I know all about having to let air out of the wing on ascent because of expanding air and the surrounding pressure.

So you're saying that the bungees act like squeezing hands on a wing. and the surrounding water pressure doesn't? That's where I'm getting a lil confused.:confused:

What he is saying Taat2d is that water pressure is what keeps the air from pouring out while submerged while above ground it would poor out, right?

So, in essence, this bungee issue is a MOOT point then, right? I mean, if its NOT going to dump air while in 1 ata, 2 ata, 3 ata, etc WHATS THE POINT TO ALL THIS BWOD crap, correct?

ScoobieDooo, I agree with you, the BWOD is old and boring. There are so many other issues that apply to diving with BCD's, it would seem that it would be more helpful, (for the BWOD camp) to concentrate on how to handle BCD emergencies, do's and don'ts rather than whether or not your wing has bungees. by the way I like your new avatar picture!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Hey Thanks,
I'm even considering an OMS tattoo! Ha ha...

Maybe I'll join you Scoobie. If I can find any more room for more ink.... LOL:D

Yea,
I hear ya Taat2d - I'm thinking maybe on my butt? Hahaha....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom