Bungee Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I inadvertently punctured my OMS Bungeed wings diving a wreck, and while I had to keep adding air to compensate, I was able to maintain neutral buoyancy at depth and positive buoyancy at the surface.

That being said, there was a diver on the boat yesterday that had a back inflate BC who was not able to maintain positive buoancy at the surface... the culprit was the "hose" connection to the BC... it had come loose enough to allow air to escape fast enough to make it hard to maintain enough air for buoancy. Her buddy dealt with the issue and she was not in danger... no bungees and she was STILL in danger of sinking to the bottom.

OK ScoobieDooo, here's what we do. We scour the board, finding every person that has voiced a strong opinion, either way, about the BWOD. Then, we try and get each of them to toss in a couple of bucks to the BWOD Testing Fund. :D It may take a while but we should be able to get the cash together. We simply tell them to put their money were their mouth is. :wacko: We could even get in contact with the major companies on both sides to see if they could help. Maybe ask GI or JJ to toss a wing our way to support their strong statements against the "bondage wings"
So if anyone wants in on the test, let me know. Maybe we can do this and FINALLY put a rest to this.

For my personal opinions on the subject, refer to my previous post. Not trying to force my opinions on anyone, it works for me and that's what counts, right?

OK,
I'm game...anyone have an yold OMS bungee wings and/or Halcyon wings they'd like to donate for our cause. This could be a real turning point from OMS to Halcyon IF we get the test aids...

Takers, anyone?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
OK,
I'm game...anyone have an yold OMS bungee wings and/or Halcyon wings they'd like to donate for our cause. This could be a real turning point from OMS to Halcyon IF we get the test aids...

Takers, anyone?

Sounds like a good idea. But first we have to make sure we OBJECTIVE testers.

Supposingly, this issue to DIR isn't because of the puncture issue, but an issue of drag that they impart on the wing.

I would have thought that GUE's problem with them was the fact that they are used for retraction and hence, impart a risk for inflation in the event of a puncture.

Wouldn't the surrounding water pressure at depth on a Halcyon wing act the same way bungee's would on an OMS wing? Causing rapid air deflation?

The following I quote from a rather accomplished Canadian tech diver that I know that has a super nice Canadian diving web site with awesome pictures. He writes:

"What you need to look at is the DIFFERENCE between a bunjeed wing and a regular wing in this case. In a best case scenario, how much air are you going to be able to KEEP in a regular wing with a hole in it? Half if yer lucky? And even that is only if the hole is in an ideal location and you manage to NEVER roll to that side during your entire anxiety-filled ascent from this mysterious 150' dive (that no one has ever heard of actually happening, as far as I know).

Do bunjeed wings cause 100% of the air to be forced out? No, there will still be some in the wing due to the way the material collects. So the difference is not nearly what DIR people would have you believe."

lal7176 once bubbled...

Have you ever tried to swim up a full set of doubles.Your looking at negative 10-16lbs of gas alone depending on the size of the tanks plus the weight of a deco bottle if your carrying one adds another couple of pounds.

No I haven't, I don't have any experience with twins yet. But hypothetically speaking, shouldn't a diver be able to swim his rig up, doubles or otherwise, without any buoyancy help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom