Bungee Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead,
I hear that that MAY be difficult with twins and stage/deco bottles attached due to the weight factor...

taat2d once bubbled...
Wouldn't the surrounding water pressure at depth on a Halcyon wing act the same way bungee's would on an OMS wing? Causing rapid air deflation?

No...........

At neutral bouyancy the pressure inside the wing will be equal to the pressure of the water outside the wing.
Once you master the art of using a non-bungee wing, you can do ascents with the deflate valve wide open, using your attitude to let the gas escape as it expands. Its very effective IF you use the button to release gas. (of course the rear dump valve is the correct way right?)
Dave

This is a debate that will likely go on forever unresolved. OMS had an independant facility test their wings - Argo Labs, which found no perceivable differance between bungeed and non-bungeed wings...

Supposingly, this issue to DIR isn't because of the puncture issue, but an issue of drag that they impart on the wing.
I would have thought that GUE's problem with them was the fact that they are used for retraction and hence, impart a risk for inflation in the event of a puncture.
I think that the points against bungeed wings were
1. Rapid loss of inflation due to failure
2. Inability to oraly inflate a punctured wing easily
3. Increased size = increased drag
4. Inability to "breathe" the inflator if necessary

That's what they talk about in the DIR 3 video and in many articles posted by the members of GUE and the WKPP.
This is a debate that will likely go on forever unresolved. OMS had an independant facility test their wings - Argo Labs, which found no perceivable differance between bungeed and non-bungeed wings...
How right you are, ScoobieDooo, any time personal preference is involved, things could get ugly. As long as nobody is detracting from dive time to debate this issue, then we're all good.
BTW, I'm diggin that new avatar.:D

Thanks,
I kinda liked that pic myself! Hey, I can't FIND that DIR video online for DIR III. Anyone know where it is?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

No...........

At neutral bouyancy the pressure inside the wing will be equal to the pressure of the water outside the wing.
Once you master the art of using a non-bungee wing, you can do ascents with the deflate valve wide open, using your attitude to let the gas escape as it expands. Its very effective IF you use the button to release gas. (of course the rear dump valve is the correct way right?)
Dave

Not sure I understand this. Can you please explain it better? When i ascend I don't inflate my wing I let ther out. Am I missing something here?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Thanks,
I kinda liked that pic myself! Hey, I can't FIND that DIR video online for DIR III. Anyone know where it is?
The vid is like 1 hour and 25 minutes long. It took about 1.5 hours to download using DSL. I have it though, I can zip it and send it to you by email if you have the space. PM me if you do and I'll get it to you. I guess I should add that I looked for it again and couldn't find the site where I got it from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom