Buoyancy Compensation Preference

What type of PRIMARY buoyancy compensatro are you currently diving?

• Jacket Style

Votes: 51 22.2%
  • Back Inflation Style

Votes: 73 31.7%
  • Hybrid Jacke/Back Inflation Style

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Back Plate and Wing Rig

Votes: 91 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stsomewhere:
:06:

You guys are obviously the experts, but...

I can't imagine ever having enough air in *any* vest BC to notice *any* squeeze except possibly on the surface. FWIW, the current crop of vest BCs that I've tried pretty much are designed to expand outward. Not like the older BCs that we used for training, IMO. I suppose that, like anything, BC inflation could be overdone. YMMV.

Exactly, I like to inflate the BC at the surface and lay back on it until the boat comes to pick me up, just my preference

stsomewhere:
I can't imagine ever having enough air in *any* vest BC to notice *any* squeeze except possibly on the surface.

You're right for generic rec warmwater, for you should never need to have that much thermal protection on to need to offset a ton of suit squeeze at depth - - if you do, then it probably means that your real problem is that you're overweighted.

Sure, there are exceptions if you're wearing doubles and/or coldwater diving in a heavier wetsuit. But this isn't plainest vannilla resort recreational diving, and as you go on to say...

FWIW, the current crop of vest BCs that I've tried pretty much are designed to expand outward. Not like the older BCs...

Yup, the 21st Century reality is that a good Jacket BCD is not the obscenely evil beast that it has been demonized into.

And in addition, these newer Jacket-style BC's have also moved their air bladders "down" the body closer to the hips (and weightbelt), rather than up around the neck, which has helped offset those pesky during-the-dive trim complaints too.

In general, the only time that you should need to really pump up your BC is on the surface during certain water conditions. I'd call these "fairly rough" as sometimes you'll prefer floating high so that your bouyancy lifts your face over the waves rather than floating low and having every one of them break over your head and/or in your face. This type of water condition may not be common where you dive, but its quite fatiguing and not particularly condusive to "just rolling onto your back" for a surface float...between that and my heavy UW camera that tips me forward (a faceplant makes it hard to see the boat), I've been planning on getting rid of my BP/W as soon as my wife isn't paying attention to my finances and go back to a Jacket.

-hh

DUI Delta wing currently. I also have a Beuchat Masterlift Tek. I am thinking about a Oxycheq Signature #30 for my next wing

Dive Rite alu and ss backplates and harnesses (only because I hadn't seen Tobin's yet :wink: ) and Oxycheq wings, oval 45 lbs single tank and horseshoe 40 lbs for doubles (with a rebreather in between :D ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom