Buoyancy Compensator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Old diver with a new BC and a question . I have a new halcyon single BC and steel backplate for sport diving , do most divers use their butt dump on ascent and to adjust for buoyancy . I have been doing the manual overhead , which is old school .

It depends on whether you ascend with your body vertically or horizontally.

I'm a new diver, but I ascend horizontally using the butt dump up to around 5-10' or so, then finish vertically so I don't get creamed by a kayak.

I only use the shoulder dump on descent, and even then rarely since I usually do a negative entry; even if I make a positive entry, it's easy enough to duck-dive then use the butt dump

On ascent I'd usually have an SMB up, especially if I was in an area where there might be boat traffic, so I can stay in horizontal trim all the way to the surface, using the butt dump

Of course you can use the shoulder dump if you want, I just don't like getting it out and restowing it every time I want to use it

Don't forget to lift you left buttock up when you dump and to pull the string up rather than down (to get the OPV at the high point of the wing)

My ascents are typically done in horizontal trim so I prefer the butt dump for venting gas from the wing. But sometimes for my last ten feet or so I will be slightly negative and swim my way up slowly, so if I need to duck down (boats) I can do so quickly, as well as let me take my time in the final 10 feet where bubble growth is most pronounced.

Peace,
Greg

In open water, I primarily use my inflator hose. In caves, I make much greater use of the butt dump.

I touch my shoulder dump/LPI three times in a dive. Once to dump air when initially leaving the surface. A quick squeeze of air on descent...and then again when I get back to the surface.

Otherwise, I just use the bottom dump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom