Buoyancy Training Techniques...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluebottle

Reaction score
hi guys... we are finished with the AI course now, and the OWSI part of the IDC starts tomorrow...

I have been asked to do a PPB clinic in a couple of days time... any inputs?

My first thoughts were

Hula hoop
hovering in multi positions
see who can swim neutrally buoyant closest to pool bottom
different fin sculling techiques
keep neutrally buoyant while swimming with a novice diver (a REAL novice :D)
picking up and putting down weights while adjusting buoyancy, without depth variation...

(now my mind is finished.. too much sun today! :) )

Bluebottle:
My first thoughts were

Hula hoop
)
I like two hula hoops set at very different levels. The divers are to go through each, changing depths only through breath control. I always get great feedback from that--people spontaneously talk about how much they improved through that exercise alone.

John

another exercise along the same line (no pun intended) is to run a reel in a large square along the bottom, but in a place where the bottom naturally gradually descends, so the resulting pattern begins say in 15'-20' and goes down to say 35', then back up to 15' or so.

Have your 'students' swim along referencing the line, not fast, no hurry, but remaining about arms length from it demonstrating correct bouyancy and trim the entire way.

I should probably keep my opinions to myself, but why start now? :) Teach them trim and proper weighting (not that stupid formula that overweights you) and the ability to hover while concentrating on other tasks.

I was so disappointed in what I learned (or specifically didn't learn) in my PPB class that I skipped the card to save myself the $25.

YMMV

well they already have the trim and proper weighting as they are divemasters and have just completed the Assistant Instructor course... we are doing this clinic to give them ideas for when they teach.

hey it's a shame you didn't enjoy your course... PPB can be so much fun. Two different hoops at different levels is a good idea, thanks!

will try the reel/line thing too... haven't heard of that one.

Thanks a mil guys!

Bluebottle:
well they already have the trim and proper weighting as they are divemasters and have just completed the Assistant Instructor course... we are doing this clinic to give them ideas for when they teach.

hey it's a shame you didn't enjoy your course... PPB can be so much fun. Two different hoops at different levels is a good idea, thanks!

will try the reel/line thing too... haven't heard of that one.

Thanks a mil guys!
i am taking my ppb class in june, it sounds fun and as a new diver it cant hurt for the extra practice.

Doc Intrepid:
another exercise along the same line (no pun intended) is to run a reel in a large square along the bottom, but in a place where the bottom naturally gradually descends, so the resulting pattern begins say in 15'-20' and goes down to say 35', then back up to 15' or so.

Have your 'students' swim along referencing the line, not fast, no hurry, but remaining about arms length from it demonstrating correct bouyancy and trim the entire way.

Using a line was always my favorite. I don't run it in a square though. I'll combine sharp turns (near 180) and depth changes.

Hulla hoops are decieving because a diver can be all over the water column lining up with it and getting a running start. They make it through and think they did ok. When following a line they'll see all their ups and downs.

MikeFerrara:
Using a line was always my favorite. I don't run it in a square though. I'll combine sharp turns (near 180) and depth changes.

Hulla hoops are decieving because a diver can be all over the water column lining up with it and getting a running start. They make it through and think they did ok. When following a line they'll see all their ups and downs.

well we did the PPB clinic this afternoon...

7 out of 10 people touched the hoop, got caught in it, or smacked it with their fins...
we had two hoops at two different positions and levels.

Dynamic buoyancy control is one thing... static buoyancy control is another. Just because you have the first doesn't mean you have the second.

Can you hover in position without hand or foot finning and at any attitude? A magnifying glass with short range of focus is a good test: try inspecting a point on an upline.

The ability to hover should be augmented with the ability to move forward, backward, up, down and spin in place with precision just by using slight movement of the fins.

Inspecting a 10' section of upline with a magnifying glass is another good test.

Uncle Pug:
Dynamic buoyancy control is one thing... static buoyancy control is another. Just because you have the first doesn't mean you have the second.
Exactly. Esp. when you are otherwise task loaded. jbd had me task loading while hovering and that's where I began to really learn how to control my buoyancy, and how little control I had up to that point.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, I learned a couple of things in my PPB and any additional pool practice has some value, but the formula they teach you overweighted me by at least 8 lbs (8 lbs!) and swimming through hulahoops didn't really teach me buoyancy as much as it taught trajectory. :rolleyes:

Who knows, bluebottle, maybe you can be one of the PADI instructors who decides to take their training to the next level and not settle on just teaching to their standards but go beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom