Buoyancy Training Techniques...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, I learned a couple of things in my PPB and any additional pool practice has some value, but the formula they teach you overweighted me by at least 8 lbs (8 lbs!) and swimming through hulahoops didn't really teach me buoyancy as much as it taught trajectory. :rolleyes:

Who knows, bluebottle, maybe you can be one of the PADI instructors who decides to take their training to the next level and not settle on just teaching to their standards but go beyond that.

hehehehe glad you said that... i worked at Club Med in maldives for a while.. and it was like a sausage factory, 3 boats in the morning, 60 divers.
How many kilos? Ummm.... Ok take four.
How many kilos? Ummm.... Ok take six.
and so on... most divers were overweighted and CM's attitude was "well we don't want 'em floating to the surface"

The weighting guidelines never worked for me. In general, girls who had normal body mass and were my own stature (1,65 weigh approx 60-65 kg) used 2-3 kg of weight in a 3mm shortie. If you use the weighting guidelines they would be wayyyy over...

i guess that's why they call them "guidelines". It's never been my practice to overweight students.. but more to teach them to breathe... getting buoyancy control from an early start.

PPB covers hovering in all positions, fin sculling, and the hoops is good practice for swim-throughs and wrecks... it can be so much fun.. the pass the parcel bit was hiliarious as everyone passed a weight-belt of 4kgs down the line while trying no to lose too much buoyancy.. some could, some couldn't,.. we all packed up laughing and lost buoyancy anyway... rofl

Back
Top Bottom