Buoyancy, trim AND list control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subvet644

Reaction score
Newbie here going broke (and driving myself stupid) on tank refills working on buoyancy in the pool. I'm embarrassed to say I'm struggling to literally obtain "port and starboard" balance. I decided on a Dive Rite TransPac/rec wing and did all OW dives in it w/ AL 80's. After some tweaking of the weight pocket belt positions I had no problems with the exercises, knowing I was probably overweighted a bit. So when I got the C-card I decided to get a steel HP 100 so I could shed some weight. The other change was going from a 5mil to 3 mil full suit. After I finish writing this I'm going to the pool try this: gear up without weights and float face down to see if the tank is centered and I can remain level side to side. Then, I'll add the Transweight 16 pockets w/o keepers and again float face down and slide to pockets until I can hopefully maintain my side to side balance. This seems like it should be an easy fix but so far no luck. I see no sense working anymore on buoyancy control until I get my balance stable. I'm logging my weighting requirement as I empty the tank, usually in three sessions. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Honestly, it seems like you may be trying too hard. Remember, the water is dynamic, don't expect to remain perfectly stable while hovering. Go out and actually dive, as long as you have the correct weight, that will help the most.

Just a couple of thoughts -- you might try getting in the pool and floating face downward WITHOUT any gear at all. I did that when I was doing the swimming training for Fundies, and discovered something interesting. When I just floated on the surface, doing nothing, I floated left shoulder down. It turned out to be a posture thing, and I was able to correct it without changing any weighting. Figuring this out also helped me stop what I called my "losses of balance" with a tank on.

Second, the more around to your back your weights are, the less stable you are. If you move them forward, toward your stomach, you create more of a "keel" effect and inertia helps control your roll.

You should also bring along an AL80. There's a good possibility that the more negatively buoyant HP100, coupled with less lead down low, will make you more unstable. A heavy backplate on your back will give you the same effect.

As TSandM says just above, moving some lead to your stomach will help your stability. Putting a heavy (buoyancy-wise, not in-air weight) tank on your back is moving weight in the wrong direction and will probably cause problems rather than fixing it.

Each person's buoyancy characteristics are a bit different. With a 5# backplate, AL80, and 3/2 wetsuit, I'm totally unstable and will roll around to a face-up position with an empty wing.

Thanks for you suggestions. As I was in phase one floating face down, my daughter came by with a friend(who dives). When I came up she said your wing isn't inflating equally on both sides. Sure enough, I took it off and it was as obvious as day. I'm going to make a post in the equipment section to see if anyone else has had that problem. That's the beauty of buying gear from an authorized LDS. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Like Kinky Friedman say's "how hard can it be"? Of course he's talking about being the govenor of TX, not buoyancy control! Again you guys/gals have been a superb resource to this old newbie--gotta practice up heading to Coz next month!

I have a RecWing and don't like it either for the same reasons. Perhaps your LDS would let you trade it in for a Venture Wing? It's plenty of wing for a single steel 100.

Just a quick thought.

IMO for a trip to tropical Coz a 100 steel is way to heavy... you will be pumping a ton of air into your wing given that you will have a very light exposure suit (if any).

You will be using al 80's there and so be sure to adjust your boyency/trim for tropical waters.

I just got a steel 100 and dang do I miss my trim that I had with my Al80 .. I am working on it though
you will (I think) never be as stable in roll as you were with the Al80, you now have 8 to 10lbs on your back, the Al80 was probably 1 or 2lbs .. that is why you need the weight opposite your tank, and I think you will have more of that effect in the pool/fresh water ..you have less weight , but not less weight on your back

I hope I get this 10lb rock on my back to behave itself :) .. good luck, good trip :D

Tollie:
IMO for a trip to tropical Coz a 100 steel is way to heavy... you will be pumping a ton of air into your wing given that you will have a very light exposure suit (if any).

Some of us dive with the shops which offer the steel 100s and 120s for deeper dives and longer bottom time. I dive with 2 lbs of weight with a SS BP and Venture Wing and have little air in my wing. It's a much easier tank to handle than an AL80 which becomes positively buoyant.

D_B:
I hope I get this 10lb rock on my back to behave itself :) .. good luck, good trip :D

Are you diving with a BP/W, D_B?

Back
Top Bottom