Burmuda Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mischief,

Regarding diving in Bermuda: the reefs, while all are not as "lush" as some in the carribean, are quite nice, and vary quite a bit in topography, between the North and South sides of the island.
The other real item of interest is the wide variety of wrecks, varying in condition from debris fields to nearly intact. (At least prior to hurricane Fabian.)

I have enjoyed the diving in Bermuda since 1983, and will go again next summer.
Good luck,
Mike

"Bermuda has the healthiest coral population I've seen," from a recent doctoral student studying the stuff. Bermuda has the northern most living coral in the world, made possible by the gulf stream. The water temp today was 76' with an air temp about the same or just a couple degrees higher.
There are something like 400 known wrecks around the island but a dozen or so that are the most attractive. Virtually all of the common dives are between 35-70 ft.
Do you have any specific questions you'd like answered?
Fred

I've been diving in Bermuda on three different trips with the most recent about 1.5 years ago. Great place to visit. As for diving, I would consider it primarily to be a shallow, wreck oriented destination. The average depth of most wrecks is between 40 and 50 feet - most ships grounded/sunk very close to the island thanks in part to the island's very sudden shelf.

I've never really seen much in the way of significant coral or sponges, certainly not like the Caymans or other noted areas.

Blue Water Divers and Nautilus are reputable/solid operators.

Topside sites are beautiful and the dining is world class. Everything is fairly expensive.

I have been diving in Burmuda a couple of times in conjunction with business trips. It is different than Caribean diving. The reefs are OK but not great. Lot's of wrecks, but most are broken up. The water gets cold in the winter months. I dove in April and used a 5 mm and the water was choppy. Best to go in the summer months. AN expensive place for vacation.

Mischief once bubbled...
Can anyone tell me what Diving in Burmuda is like?
does it have good reefs?

Thanks
Mischief

I'll echo some things that have been said already, and add a thing or two.

The reefs have good structure - there are nice overhangs, cuts, and caverns. Some are unique, especially the "boilers" on the east end which are not coral at all, but are derived from a species of marine worm.

The are lots of wrecks, but IMHO the most interesting are the US Civil War wrecks, there because Bermuda served as a transshipment port for the South's blockade runners.

The dive operators run guided tours because so much of their business are unknowns off of cruise ships. In short, don't expect to buddy up and go off on your own.

If you go, be sure to enjoy Bermuda topside. IMHO, it's the most cultured, cleanest, and most attractive of the islands with a warm climate on this side of the Atlantic. Take the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard, have lunch, and sped a few hours wandering about the Maritime Museum and Commissioner's House. Don't miss a moped or bus ride along the South Shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom