Burned out, need some job idea's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just found a personality test online at discoveryhealth's website.

I took the test:
Scale 0 = Type B (calm relaxed etc)
100 = Full Type A

I got a 70, and it said I'm in the "middle ground" between and A or B type personality, but I lean more tword an A type.

Now If I can just find a test that will recommend career's...

Postal Inspection Service might be an option to mix computers with law enforcement. I'm not sure what the requirements would be though.
Ber :lilbunny:

rottielover:
I just found a personality test online at discoveryhealth's website.

I took the test:
Scale 0 = Type B (calm relaxed etc)
100 = Full Type A

I got a 70, and it said I'm in the "middle ground" between and A or B type personality, but I lean more tword an A type.

Now If I can just find a test that will recommend career's...

You might also search for a site such as http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/ that will administer a (modified) Myers-Briggs test. Some of them will provide information about "best suited careers" for certain types.

Hallmac forgot Secret Service- they do a LOT of the fraud work and high tech crime investigation these days.

Not sure about other parts of the country but in So. California there are currently about 9,000 local law enforcement openings. Put simply- if you can pass the background check you will get hired.

As far as technology positions my department has about 3,000 people. 3 of those investigate technology crimes full time. Don't count on getting into one of those positions unless you are willing to do 8 years or so in the field and keep your technology training up to date on your own. And then get lucky.

I kind of have the best of both worlds- My full time job is a civillian position managing all the departments computer networks and part time I'm a sworn reserve captain. Don't get paid for the reserve stuff but between my full time job and teaching it works out fine.

Good luck in you search!

Tom

I found one test (that doesn't mean a hill of beans) but here were the results anyway:

You are a Technician, possible professions include - surveyor , fire fighter , private investigator, pilot, police officer, purchasing agent, chiropractor, medical technician, securities analyst, computer repair person, race car driver, computer programmer, electrical engineer, legal secretary, coach/trainer, commercial artist, carpenter, paralegal, dental assistant, radiological technician, marine biologist, software developer.

I'm off to try Green's link now...

Well I can say that not all of IT is bad. I have an EXTREMELY similar background to you, the only difference is that i'm 29 and I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. I've been in IT for 11 years and make great money.

Right now i'm doing consulting work, but for a company not independantly. It's a 100 person strong operation. I've been in and out of about 75 "Fortune 500" companies over the past 5 years as a consultant and I can tell you that 99% of the IT people I know that are unhappy are working for large companies where they are treated like a # on a page instead of a human. If your main issue with IT is that your not treated like you should be allowed to have your own interests, family and time off. Treated as though 24 hours a day, 7 days a week you are expected to be able to work then you may want to try your hand at a small company.

Also - My wife just switched to a small 300 employee software company. She used to do finance work in NY, but is now doing billing work. She's close to home and she makes nearly the same money but she also loves working for the smaller company.

All in all it's just nice to make a good living and still be treated like a human.

If you plan on finishing your degree, do it BEFORE going into law enforcement. Its odd schedules and unpredictable nature make it quite difficult to finish school.

Balance that with the fact that many law enforcement agencies, in particular those for the Federal government, have strict age limits for new recruits. Make sure to check around.

If law enforcement salaries are an issue in your area, check out agencies in other parts of the country. Of course the higher paying agencies tend to be in areas with higher cost of living as well, such as California.

Also, if you really want to get into law enforcement, don't necessarily look into blending your IT skills with it. Only at a few places, such as the FBI, will those skills be appreciated right away. With most police agencies, you'll simply be walking a footbeat or driving a car around, rolling to barking dog calls and the like for the first few years. Those skills may not come into play for several years down the road, and only if you get transferred to a position such as computer forensics or computer-related fraud.

Since you come from a law enforcement family I'm not going to get into most of the non-work aspects, but one thing to remember is that because of your job, those you know will inquire, perhaps even berate, you because of high profile law enforcement incidents, particularly ones that are portrayed negatively by the media. For example, even though I don't work for them, I'm getting a lot of questions and negative comments about the LAPD's handling of the May 1 demonstrations at MacArthur Park.

Also, consider PI work. Asset location is very hot and lucrative for computer whizes. Also, you can start gradually, build your business before you quit your day job.

PI work is grossly overrated, and nothing like TV and movies make it out to be. It's less "detective work" and more "sit on your butt for hours at a time and watch someone, or a place, to see what happens." VERY boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom