Burning Question...

Choose wisely:

• FULL CAVE CERTIFICATION

Votes: 33 46.5%
  • TRIMIX CERTIFICATION

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, here it is: which training would you do next: Full Cave cert or Trimix cert?

I have some time this year for another class, and I want to do both, but I just dont think I can afford both classes. SO, if you HAD to pick one or the other, which class would you take???

I pick trimix. In fact, I start my mix class in just about a month. But then again, I already have my cave cert, so maybe it isn't fair for me to answer that.

All things being equal, if I had to start over again, I think I would still have done my cave cert first tho.

ready to die, but never will

OoRah

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Ok, here it is: which training would you do next: Full Cave cert or Trimix cert?
I suppose to matters WHERE you would like to cave dive. If your cave diving will be limited to Akumal, then perhaps Cave would be a better choice, but for us mainlanders who might hop down to Florida, I would consider mix to be a personal prerequisite to cave.

The mix cert will include everything you need to know about extended range diving and deep diving that can be important, not only for cave, but as a solid basis for tech diving in general.

There's no use in being cave certified when the depths and lengths of the caves available to you preclude air/nitrox/NDL.

Do mix this year and enjoy the cavern zone :)

WreckWriter once bubbled...
If I had neither I would pick mix for sure.

WW
Most of my diving is on wrecks in NC and VA...mix before cave for me....although it might be a different story if I lived in FL.

I say take the cave class. You can apply the techniques you will learn to all the diving you do.

I say take the cave class. You can apply the techniques you will learn to all the diving you do.

I agree with Chickdiver. And if you think your skills were good in OW, you will find out exactly how good they are in cave training.

for theses reasons:

1) I get narc'd below 120 feet.
2) there are lots of wreck below 100 feet
3) There aren't many caves in Ontario

Mike D
:blfish:

I would recommend cave first, as have many already. Then I would recommend Trimix in a cave. If you can plan and execute a training dive with 7 different depths for set periods of time while following a rigid time schedule plus all of the other hoopties, then a wreck dive on mix is a piece of cake. Also mix diving in a cave is much more fun due to the missing option of near vertical ascent. Diving mix is mostly about planning. The practical application is easy if you know your equipment and how to control buoyancy.

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom