Buying first computer Suunto Zoop, Cressi Giotto, or Oceanic Geo 2.0 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will find this strategy will not work at several of the destinations on your "to do" list. However, you may actually be correct, and, with your Cressi, you may not be doing deco, just waiting around at 15 feet so that you will not be locked out. I never stopped to think of it this way. Sorry, still won't work.

Best of luck and good diving

She asked for experiences and opinions. No need to take a differing experience personally, Scubadada. Or try to make it personal for someone else.

My original comment stands: Giotto has worked for me, with the limitations I described.

But you will find this strategy will not work at several of the destinations on your "to do" list. We know.

(Strategy known as "halitosis" in advertising circles, aka "doing a listerine")

Go with the Oceanic. It has DSAT (with option of Z+). If you plan on upgrading one day, you can use it as a backup and DSAT will work best as a backup since it is quite liberal. Having a backup computer that’s the same level or more liberal than your primary is ideal.

Fair warning, the Oceanic manual is pretty atrocious. Go to divecomputertraining aka the divenav site mentioned previously. It’s the best $7-8 ever spent. They do video modules and show you how to use your computer and even have dive simulation videos so you know what to expect and see on the dives and what it means. It was like going on a dive with someone talking you through it.

Im not a fan of Suunto, ive seen more than a handful showing 450 ft depth on the surface. My buddy loves his though, so who knows.

I like Oceanic. Its simple and it always works.

Of course, I was not doing deco dives. The dive profiles, in conjunction with multiple dives across multiple days, produced the extended safety stop. I got to hang with the DM as he completed his extended stop as well. It's concerning that experienced professionals wouldn't consider this.
What is this ‘extended safety stop’?

It talks about 3 minute safety stops in the manual.

What you are describing, if imposed by the computer, sounds like a proper deco stop.

Personally I think everyone ought to be trained for rescue and deco diving so it doesn’t worry me, however if it is actually a deco stop and you think it is a safety stop then you are somewhat at risk of deciding to blow through it as it is ‘just’ a safety stop.

It talks about 3 minute safety stops in the manual.

What you are describing, if imposed by the computer, sounds like a proper deco stop.

Personally I think everyone ought to be trained for rescue and deco diving so it doesn’t worry me, however if it is actually a deco stop and you think it is a safety stop then you are somewhat at risk of deciding to blow through it as it is ‘just’ a safety stop.

The computer differentiates between decompression and other stops. Look at how the manual describes deco obligations.

Attachments

• IB_Giotto_EN.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 61

:rofl3: There are these grey cells on PADI RDP where it says optional "safety stop will be required". What is this 'required optional stop'?

The computer differentiates between decompression and other stops. Look at how the manual describes deco obligations.

Which of the two situations described below applied?

If the first are you saying the computer gave you a 10 minute safety stop?

SAFETY STOP
Giotto is programmed to automatically signal a safety stop after each dive at a depth greater than 10 m, as recommended by the training centres and the most recent studies on diving physiology. This stop should be carried out at a depth between 5 and 3 metres for 3 minutes.
The stop is indicated by the display with the STOP icon; the display, under this condition, clearly indicates the duration in minutes of the stop and the depth expressed in metres or feet. The safety stop is not mandatory, yet it is strongly recommended if, for instance, the maximum ascent rate is repeatedly exceeded. Cressi always recommends respecting it, in order to avoid safety issues.
REMARK: During the safety stop, the maximum depth can be displayed by pressing the right (>) button.

then later. In the manual...

DIVING OUTSIDE THE NO DECOMPRESSION LIMITS

However, if during the dive, due to negligence or emergency, you have exceeded the no decompression limits, Giotto will provide specific information related to a correct ascent and to the decompression information.
Upon violating the limits, the computer will issue an audible alarm and the screen on the display will change to look as indicated in the following picture providing the diver with the following information:
1) Stop icon with the word DECO showing that the no decompression limits have been violated and that decompression must be performed. The arrow indicating UP will flash.
2) Depth of first decompression stage (the deepest), indicated in metres (m) or feet (ft). This can vary from a maximum of 24 m to a minimum of 3 m by steps of 3 m in 3 minutes.
3) Duration in minutes for the first decompression stage (the deepest).
4) TOTAL icon, indicating the total ascent time, that is the time required to ascend to the deepest stage, respecting the ascent rate, PLUS the stop time at that depth and any other subsequent stop (indicating the deep stop if necessary), PLUS the safety stop time, PLUS the time required to reach the surface after completing the decompression stages.
5) “DIVE.T” icon giving the total time spent while diving.
REMARK: In this case, the maximum depth can be displayed by pressing the right button.
REMARK: In case the deepest stage is a Deep Stop, by pressing the right key you will see, always on the right top corner, the depth and duration of the first stage, not Deep Stop.

Which of the two situations described below applied?

If the first are you saying the computer gave you a 10 minute safety stop?

SAFETY STOP
Giotto is programmed to automatically signal a safety stop after each dive at a depth greater than 10 m, as recommended by the training centres and the most recent studies on diving physiology. This stop should be carried out at a depth between 5 and 3 metres for 3 minutes.
The stop is indicated by the display with the STOP icon; the display, under this condition, clearly indicates the duration in minutes of the stop and the depth expressed in metres or feet. The safety stop is not mandatory, yet it is strongly recommended if, for instance, the maximum ascent rate is repeatedly exceeded. Cressi always recommends respecting it, in order to avoid safety issues.
REMARK: During the safety stop, the maximum depth can be displayed by pressing the right (>) button.

then later. In the manual...

DIVING OUTSIDE THE NO DECOMPRESSION LIMITS

However, if during the dive, due to negligence or emergency, you have exceeded the no decompression limits, Giotto will provide specific information related to a correct ascent and to the decompression information.
Upon violating the limits, the computer will issue an audible alarm and the screen on the display will change to look as indicated in the following picture providing the diver with the following information:
1) Stop icon with the word DECO showing that the no decompression limits have been violated and that decompression must be performed. The arrow indicating UP will flash.
2) Depth of first decompression stage (the deepest), indicated in metres (m) or feet (ft). This can vary from a maximum of 24 m to a minimum of 3 m by steps of 3 m in 3 minutes.
3) Duration in minutes for the first decompression stage (the deepest).
4) TOTAL icon, indicating the total ascent time, that is the time required to ascend to the deepest stage, respecting the ascent rate, PLUS the stop time at that depth and any other subsequent stop (indicating the deep stop if necessary), PLUS the safety stop time, PLUS the time required to reach the surface after completing the decompression stages.
5) “DIVE.T” icon giving the total time spent while diving.
REMARK: In this case, the maximum depth can be displayed by pressing the right button.
REMARK: In case the deepest stage is a Deep Stop, by pressing the right key you will see, always on the right top corner, the depth and duration of the first stage, not Deep Stop.

"What you are describing, if imposed by the computer, sounds like a proper deco stop"

Giotto notifies of a deco obligation. #1 in the section you quoted above. I'd highlight it, but I'm on my phone. The computer adds time at the safety stop with no DECO notification. On occasion, you will see a 1 minute deep stop. Again, no DECO notification. This is also mentioned in the user's guide. According to the computer, you're either in a deco dive or not in a deco dive.

Perhaps you'd like to take up the computer's functionality with Cressi's engineers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom