Buying from the internet...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSOK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, I know this prob isn't the right forum for this, but you all are the ones I know... so if it's to be moved, so be it.

My question is about buying from the internet. I was told that A LOT of internet websites aren't really "authorized dealers" of some manufacturers, which makes you unable to use the warranty. How true is this? And, what exactly is this warranty? I know the service isn't free, so does it just cover parts and defects?

Anyone ever had this problem of an item not being covered because it was purchased online? How likely is it?

Thanks!

Thew no hype skinny on Leisure Pro-- assuming this is what you are talking about. --

I bought a set of Aqualung Legend LX rig from them. It was half price. I also bought a Bare 7mm from them at 70% of the lowest LDS I have seen.

EVERYTIME I mean every-- I take my reg for service I get stares, comments and glares like the harlot with the Red A on her chest. I pay $100.00 for service which is not that more. Face it OI rings and seats do not cost that much even at 400% mark up.

If I had it to do over again and had a shop in my area worth a crap I would spend the extra money and buy it at the shop.--- My local shops are mostly either cowboy shops who work on gear with rusty greasy wrenchs and 3# hammers or surf wear shops and the guy says.... WHoaa looky at that.. what is it dude?

Although I am going to look at the Jensen shop again----

leisure pro is awesome, and they will warranty there stuff even if they are not an authorized dealer. There prices are amazing. Have never had an issue with any of the items I have bought. I have however had issues with two items I have bought from local dive shops and you know what---both times I was given a hard time about returning them. Divers direct is good and if you check the prices they are close on some stuff, but leisure pro has earned my business. Pretty much the only local dive store I go to anymore is fill express.

I do believe this thread is in the wrong forum but our SB staff will make that decision. I have taken the lberty of running a search on this topic for you and you can find it by clicking :search: (by the way this button is a link to my search).

Bottom line is, if done properly, there is little wrong with purchasing online. Yes there are online "stores" that are not authorized dealers and it is up to you to do your research to know the good, the bad and the ugly about what and where you are about to purchase from. You have found a useful tool here. Use the search tool and you will find a ton.

My question is about buying from the internet. I was told that A LOT of internet websites aren't really "authorized dealers" of some manufacturers, which makes you unable to use the warranty. How true is this? And, what exactly is this warranty? I know the service isn't free, so does it just cover parts and defects?

This topic has been already covered ad nauseum.

Most online retailers are authorized dealers for the lines they carry. The big exception is Leisure Pro and even they are authorized for most of the brands they carry. They are not authorized dealers for Scubapro, Aqualung, Suunto, and a few others. They substitute their warranty in place of manufacturer warranty.

Very few people ever have to use the warranty anyway other than for service parts.

EVERYTIME I mean every-- I take my reg for service I get stares, comments and glares like the harlot with the Red A on her chest. I pay $100.00 for service which is not that more. Face it OI rings and seats do not cost that much even at 400% mark up.

Sounds more like a reason to get your service done elsewhere than to buy your regs elsewhere.

At the facility I teach for , if someone comes in with gear purchased elsewhere and that is NOT under warrenty,and we can work on it,we will.Of course the bill will reflect the fact that you have to pay for any rebuild kit that was used.That said I'd like to add that if someone trained with us and purchased their gear from us we allow/even encourage them to use our inhouse pool any time they like,as long as there is not a class running obviously, at NO CHARGE.Purchase elsewhere and wish to get some pool time in,there will be a charge of $35. for 1 person-$50. for 2 people per hr.Adds value to gear purchase thru our authorized facility.

What ReefHound says.

The warranty for a piece of equipment is "usually" 1 year from date of purchase.

During that one year, most new divers will probably have fewer than 10 dives.

The possibility of something going amiss with a new piece of gear exists, but the PROBABILITY is that it won't.

Now, just to prove what can happen, I had a Sea Elite regulator crap out on it's very first dive.

the K

Hmm... I was bent on giving my business to the dive shop, but now I don't know...

I mean, that's where I trained, and the owners are a great bunch. If I'm going to save 100 bucks, I really wouldn't care giving it to them... the way I see it, it benefits me cause the more money I give them, the more help I give them to stay in business, and the closer I got to go to get something serviced...

Still... dunno... thank you all and I'll def check out the other threads!

The most important question is Where do you live?
How far away is the LDS? Is that the only LDS?
Do you plan on moving?

I have used my LDS and LP.

I have had great luck with Leisure Pro.
I have had good luck and extremely bad luck with my LDS.

I never needed LP's warranty except on a BC several years later (KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!). The LDS first said they could not help me because I did not buy it from them.

BTW, later the shop said it would not have been under warranty,
because I did not pay $XX.xx to have the BC serviced regularly.

I had to replace a pull dump valve, which should have been covered under warranty.
I think I just paid for a new one.

I now replace the power inflater almost yearly due to diving in salt water.
So, for the most part, I am happy just to buy new power inflators and put it on myself.
Cheaper than having a shop monkey do it.

However, Zeagle is supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
I sent mine back to Zeagle through the LDS (even though I bought it at LP) and Zeagle did repair it, but it did not come back looking much better.
I sent my wife's back (bought through the LDS) and it came back looking like new.

I started out with Sherwood I bought from a LDS. His services were always great and reasonably priced. I moved and the new LDS did not carry Sherwood. They would attemp to service them but did not charge me the bought elsewhere service price because I had just moved there.

The bad thing is that usually had to take the reg back once or twice
because the tech did not set the reg properly and it either breathed hard or free flowed! I kept this up for many years till I got into more seriously into tech diving and
decided to upgrade my regs from Sherwood to Apeks.

The Sherwood warranty went from lifetime to 2 years! If you bought it from a LDS, they usually treated it like a lifetime warranty till you forget to have it serviced (or moved).

I bought ApeKs regs from my LDS so I would not have an issue with service.
They charge almost twice as much as if you bring in regs bought elsewhere.
I had several years of good service, then I moved again!
The last time I had the regs serviced, the LDS (the one I purchased them from) overcharged me, left a broken DIN knob as is, took two months to service the regs, overcharged me to ship them back, and they did not service the Octopus, because they could not get it apart! I called to complain and they did send me a new DIN knob free of charge.

I had pay out of pocket to replace the Octopus the next year,
even though it should have been under warranty and replaced for free.
I only paid $100 for it at the LDS and replaced it for $75 at a tent sale.

Most of the LDS where I live now will not touch an Apeks or want over $100 to do it.
After getting many quotes of $75 or more, I finally found the guy that services most of the regulators in Palm Beach County. Most of the shops send the regulators to him. He does not work for a shop, but borrows a work space from a shop I get fills from.

This LDS wants like $75 to repair a reg you did not buy there,
but once you pay the $75 for the first service, they consider it their reg!
He even puts returns the parts he replaced
(so you have more confidence he actually opened them up and servided them)
and the next service is only $40 or so, but here is the catch, KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!

BTW LP has their own service department with published prices.
They just looked a little pricey to me at the time, they don't sound so expensive now!

KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!

Now one last point, I will give you two cases.

Say you buy a regulator for $450 at your LDS (this is only the first and second stage),
and you spend $35 a year on service. Say your second stage housing cracks 10 years later and you need to replace it. Nine years at $35 is $315, and you get a new reg!
Let us say you forget to have it serviced the 8th year, or worse, the company is out of business, doesn't make that model anymore, and you are out of luck!
You have to buy a new second stage for $225.
Total $990

Say you buy the same regulator for $280 at LP (this is only the first and second stage), and you spend $55 a year on service. Say your second stage housing cracks 10 years later and you need to replace it. Nine years at $55 is $495, and you get a new reg! Let us say you forget to have it serviced the 8th year, or worse, the company is out of business, doesn't make that model anymore, and you are out of luck! You have to buy a new second stage for $140.
Total $915

See a difference? Not really. More like you will need a $50 poppet!

But you say you have $1380 in your regulator. No, you don't!
You have $200 in a first stage, $250 in a second stage stage, $150 in an octopus,
$30 in an inflator hose, $70 in a SPG, $30 in an HP hose, $50 in a compass, and $500 in a computer. The first stage, second stage, and maybe the octopus, are the only things covered under warranty!

The computer has its own warranty. Did you keep the receipt?
Computers typically only have a two year warranty and you are luck if they last that long. Hence I do not buy an expensive computer, but buy two cheaper ones.
An expensive computer can be even more finicky than a cheap one!

More than likely in five years you will be out of scuba. Either that or you will realize how crappy your current regulator breathes and want a new one.
Buy an new first stage, second stage for $450 and you are good to go.
The octopus, inflator hose, SPG, HP hose, compass, and computer should still be good.

Say you pay $1500 for that Brand A first and second stage.
How much do you think it will cost a year to have it serviced? $100? If you are lucky!
Warranty any better? No. Warranty still requires you to have it serviced every year!

Say you pay $1500 for that Brand S air integrated dive computer. Did you know that if you touch the batteries in the transmitter, they corrode and stop working?
How long do you think it will last? Two years? Say you did keep your receipt.
They don't make that computer anymore. (technology changes, it was unreliable, etc)
They give you a new computer, but it does not fit your console, so you need a new console, compass, SPG, etc.

Buy good equipment. The top of the line of a good brand, or a good reg from a great brand. I am using Apeks TX50/DS4 regs. I have a good Octo, my wife has a cheap one.
My octo has been used once outside of class. Her octo has been used once by an idiot free diver.

I buy dual gas nitrox computers for $275 at the local yearly tent sale.
I carry two and my wife carries two.

I carry spare Apeks TX50/DS4 reg in case of hose or O-ring failure.
More than likely I loan out a piece because someone else did not get their gear serviced and has a bad hose or mouthpiece.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom