Buying Gear for Christmas, Found Packages from Diver Supply super...Safety Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleDonnie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys it's Don,
Pretty much my parents just bought a house so funds are very tight right now. Normally I would want to go to my LDS for gear well simply because they are awesome and for every certification I have done so far and including my upcoming certification in the Spring, I am getting a "scholarship" from them for. I.e. they pick kids who they see are dedicated and have a future in the sport and waive the fees associated with the classes.

Well I am starting work soon and as a (very) late (or very early lol) Christmas present/Birthday present I plan on buying my own Scuba Gear. Now I understand Scuba Gear - Snorkeling Equipment - Largest Scuba Diving Equipment Selection - Divers Supply makes their own gear and that is what they sell and how they sell it so cheap. But for example here:
Scuba Gear Premium System Package @ Divers-Supply.com

a) is what they are selling in their packages considered good gear for someone who plans on diving at least once a month during/around peak seasons (May - Oct)
b) should I worry about the cost being so low/is there safety issues or does the gear they sell so cheap or does it not last long.

I plan to buy this:
Scuba Gear Premium System Package @ Divers-Supply.com

With this configuration:
713138c5e0e60bc11dfb6cf894383132.png

How long will this gear last me if I treat it well and is it considered good gear, should I upgrade anything. Thank You :)

Diver's Supply does not make Aeris or Oceanic products. Where did you get that idea? They are good quality brands, but have you asked your LDS to match the prices on similar goods?

If you guy at the internet site, you may not be picked again for scholarship training.

I agree that seeing your LDS is so kind to you, supporting them would be the right thing to do. Asking them to price match would be a first option. If money is such an issue, why not ask them if they have any second hand gear for sale (ex rental stuff etc)? Or you could put a gear wanted ad up in their shop and offer them a commission if they find you something suitable.

Properly maintained, most scuba regulators and bcds from any of the major companies will last for many years. Oceanic and Aeris etc are all good brands. But given that this stuff lasts for many years, buying second hand is a sensible option for a cash-strapped beginner, providing good maintenance has been done. Talk to your LDS about this. They will know you have bought gear when you turn up in it, and being a business may rightly wonder why their good treatment of you hasn't resulted in more loyalty. Give them the chance to see what they can do for you. Maybe it didn't occur to you to try and price match because you mistook this competing retailer for a manufacturer.

If a guy gave me free training, I would quit being so impatient and just buy what I could, and save up for the rest.WOuld you be able to turn up to a free class in gear you could have bought from them but decied to save $50? With the amount of dives you have do you really know what equiptment you want? You only plan on diving 5 times a year so whats the rush?

If I were diving 5 times a year and on a tight budget and insiting on buying all my own gear, I would ditch the air integrated computer and just get a regular one (without the transmitter).I woud just rent everything bar the wetsuit, boots and mask. This would cost me £70 per year max (with a dive computer) with no servicing costs and from what you plan on buying a lot better equiptment. (I recently rented a cressi BCD, Oceanic fins, suit , mask and boots, Mares Regulator first and second with Scubapro octopus with a suunto Dive computer for $25 per day.) In a few years time I would expect you to be better off financially and buy what you wanted based on preference not price.

I have no gear of my own at the moment but now with a few dives under my belt in different envioroments I will purchase the equiptment I want next year in order of importance to me. If I could only afford the first piece of equitment thats all I would buy and rent the rest untill I was in a position to buy the second piece.

In this scenario, I would buy from the LDS even if it was a little more expensive and took you a little longer to get all your gear. They've invested a lot in you. They gave you certs for free so they probably know you're not carrying boat loads of cash. I bet they will put together a great package at a great price.

I would have to go with all the GREAT advice you have been given by everyone so far. Your LDS has really reached out and helped you out . you should reach out to them and help them out give them your support (buy from them ). I am sure they will give you the best deal they can . There are not to many that can or will give free cert's . I have found that loyalty to your LDS WILL BENEFIT YOU IN THE LONG HALL . I have gotten some real good deals off and on over the last several years. good luck with all your diving indevers

Actually the only thing in that package "made" by Divers Supply is the Octo as Sea Elite is their private label brand.
Sea Elite Systems a company committed to manufacturing high value products with low consumer prices. Sea Elite is the best kept secret in the diving industry, but their quality products are legendary among divers. Sea Elite products are sold and serviced exclusively through Divers Supply
It's also not the best deal I've ever seen on an Octo. Divers Supply lists it separately for $79 - here's an Aeris model for $69. Aeris A1 Octopus Regulator, Yellow - Furthermore it appears that only Divers Supply services Sea Elite branded Octo's.

While any Oceanic dealer (is yours one?) can service the reg under warranty, and later it would be a pain to have to send in the Octo periodically. Many people buy reg/octo from the same mfr. for that reason. Aeris and Oceanic are sister companies - both owned by Hollis so any Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis service can be done in one place.

If your dealer is an Aeris/Oceanic dealer they can probably get very close to or match the price since Oceanic also sells online - there's even a program where you buy direct from Oceanic and they ship it to your local store - I believe at no cost to you.

I don't have any particular loyalty to any of our LDS's but I'd give yours a chance to match prices - esp. since they're giving you free classes. Even if you pay slightly more with tax, I like the convenience of buying locally plus establishing a relationship with my LDS. On some items, they're exactly the same price as what you can get online - one of our LDS's advertises they will match the Internet price on anything they sell. Needless to say, they're still in business today while several others who wouldn't aren't any longer.

The GT3/CDX5 is also a discontinued Oceanic model. Not that it particularly matters in terms of parts availability but it explains the lower price.

People on SB have mentioned issues with the functionality of the 1 button interface of the Mares Puck.

That's a good package price including the Atmos BCD since they appear to be over $500 list separately. That also puts a value on the other gear in the package.

Personally I'd spend more on a reg and less on a BCD if I had budget constraints. One keeps you alive, the other keeps you floating at the surface. I service my regs regularly, I have my BCD looked at every few years or so.

Add an inexpensive wrist computer like an Oceanic VEO NX(nitrox) - not air integrated but also >$200. Add a good pressure/depth gauge combo on a hose for $100-150 more and you have redundancy on the depth side. Hoses fail less often than batteries/transmitter links.

If you neglect to change the battery on the Puck accidentally, you can't dive since it's your only source for tank pressure. Or if it fails mid-dive your only option is to surface. I dive a non-AI wrist computer for my depth/time/safety stop settings and have a 2 gauge console on a hose. If my computer fails, I can safely continue the dive.

There's also a huge price difference - $299-349 vs. $509 - in list price when you add the compass to the AI Mares Puck console - that seems excessive since most add-on console compasses from Oceanic/Aeris and others are in the $50-70 range. I think a wrist compass ($60) is easier to use also while swimming.

If you're looking for the best price, you might also look at LeisurePro.com and Scubatoys.com websites. Both are also Oceanic dealers. Everything Scubatoys sells is covered under full mfr's warranties - some of LeisurePro's stuff is under their warranty only - that will be the better priced stuff...lol.

I'm not panning Divers Supply - in fact I'm a customer of theirs. You just may want to explore other options than this package deal. I'd never dive with a jacket BCD either but that's personal preference.

my .02 since you asked.

Last edited:
is it considered good gear, should I upgrade anything. Thank You :)
Yes, it is OK gear, but for just under $1000.00 you can do much better.

I agree with what some of the others. There is a time and a place for LDS and for internet purchases. With what the LDS is doing for you, it sounds like a time to support them. Also, if you wait before purchasing, it will give you a chance to use different eqipment brands. The LDS knows your situation and will probably work with you.

Regarding computers, I am somewhat old school for beginner divers. I believe a newbie should have 50 dives with tables before using a computer as it gives them a chance to further understand and learn about the effects of time and depth on your NDLs. JMHO though.

Good luck with your continued training.

I second the suggestion to give your LDS a chance first. They are willing to give you free certs so I'm sure they would probably work a deal for you on an equipment package. In addition you might be able to try out or demo some of their gear during your continued education so you may get a better idea of what you will actually like, before pulling the trigger on your purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom