Buying into an interchangable lens system -- need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy makes a good point about the 12-50, zoom with macro. While it is not my first choice it covers a wide enough range that it has become as popular with M43 users as the Tokina 10-17 has become with APS-C users, not of course for the same situations.

Phil

There is sigma 17-70 for cropped sensor that cover a similar range of the Olympus 12-50 for a 4:3 but behind dome so better at wide end and you can still put a flip diopter
On the other end there is no way to avoid the flat port pincushion distortion on the 4:3

Right now the em5 is on offer but the new em1 costs more than a Nikon d7100 with the sigma
However the housing for the d7100 is exactly double
In terms of image quality yes dpreview has a point but when you look at comparing the same test pictures the 24mp of the d7100 clearly show much better image quality
I believe the 4:3 offers a cheaper alternative to a cropped sensor and seems a good choice for macro however at wide end does not offer the same quality if I look at some of the shots around
A good cropped sensor gives you great macro and great wide but does cost more than a 4:3 though not as much as a full frame and it doesn't give the depth of field headaches at super macro of a fx camera

I had the choice between housing my D800 system and housing my Olympus OMD-EM5. When I compared the huge extra cost, size, and weight for the Nikon FF system versus the EM5, it was no contest especially with the EM5's excellent image quality. I have ultrawide 7-14 (14-28 in FF terms), general-purpose 12-50 (24-100 in FF terms) which includes full macro function (1:1 macro in FF terms, can fill the frame with something the size of an SD card, no close up lenses needed), and dedicated 60mm macro (120 in FF terms and 2:1 magnification for ultra-macro, no close up lenses needed).

In particular, the 12-50 rig is unprecedented in its versatility. There is just no other similar setup in either FF or APS-C that can compare.

The entire rig with housing, strobes, video lights, ports, batteries, chargers and all, fits in a roll-on size pelican case for easy travel. It is a superb above water travel system as well.

I love my D800e and will never give it up, but for underwater, the EM-5 is the way to go unless you are a full time professional.

Also, I will add that there is a huge difference in handling the smaller system, much easier all aroung but especially in challenging conditions such as a strong current.

My D7000 system handles fine under water. It is large so it requires two hands. It would be nice to have a couple of more limbs sometimes. It is true that the system is not exactly streamlined. I handled it fine in the currents at Cozumel but it was a bit like a sail. Also the system is a bit unwieldy to tote through air ports. Sometimes I wonder if I could qualify as a Sherpa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom