Buying my 1st Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDestiny105

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm going to be buying my 1st mask. Other than comfort and fit, are there any other important features I should look for? If it helps, I will be diving mostly in warm water and even though I don't plan to be doing any deep diving soon, I'd like the mask to function well at deep depths. I mention this only because I don't know if variables like depth and water temperature are signficant in choosing a mask.

Thanks everyone :)

Hello,

I'm going to be buying my 1st mask. Other than comfort and fit, are there any other important features I should look for?

Thanks everyone :)

I think you pretty much summed it up right there. Honestly, unless it's some dime store type mask for $9.95, whatever your LDS has to offer should do quite well for normal recreational diving. Prices could range from probably $30 to $40 to over $100 but you don't have to spend a lot for a quality mask. Good luck with whatever you buy.

On my first pool dive my mask kept leaking because of the skirt above my lip. It was too big and I couldn't even remove and replace my reg without my mask completely filling. When I switched to a mask with a small skirt it sealed better. Good luck.
Happy diving!

Depth and water temp should not matter, just make sure you are buying a scuba mask – some places have some cheapo snorkeling masks that are not made to withstand water pressure. Also some free diving masks are smaller, and not quite what you'd want.

Fit is most important, make sure you try on several – even after one that you feel fits just fine - to compare. Ask if you can try the mask at home/in water as often the mask feels/seals fine in shop/air and then leaks in water. Sometimes shops have student/rental masks that are same models they have on their shelves to try. Try to get someone to assist you in buying (either from the shop or diver friend) who actually knows how to check if a mask fits. (About any mask fits when you really suck it on, and there are some sellers who will not assist you any further than that!)

Comfort can be affected by several factors. Check things like the bridge on the nose pocket, does it press you? What about the skirt above your nose, does it come too low? One major thing that varies by masks is the softness of the skirt silicone. Some have way more supple silicone than others and as a result feel more comfortable - and often also seal better. And talking about the skirt, you also want to decide whether you want clear or black skirt (you can find dozens of threads discussing the benefits of each here).

Another choice you need to make is between purge or non-purge mask. There are people who find that masks with purge make equalizing a breeze but there are also comments that it can be harder to clear with the hard piece of plastic on the end of the nose pocket. There is also the opinion that the purge is an extra failure point as it introduces one more leak point to the mask.

Also look at the buckles and straps. Major nuisance if they are crappy or hard to adjust. You want to be able to handle them while in water too, not just on land, so it’s important buckles are robust and easy to operate.

Last but not least, the lenses. There are lots of styles. Some masks have multiple windows, huge lenses down to your cheeks or just small more traditional looking lenses. Do not fall victim for the look over function. See what fits you, and decide based on that. I personally like masks that offer some added downward view (easier to see down towards your belly button) but it’s not worth having additional lens space fogging up if you need to be clearing up all the time because the coolest looking mask did not fit right! The choice between one window or two separate lenses is personal preference.

If you need prescription lenses make sure you inquire which masks might come with drop-in lenses as it might save you good chunk of money.

Hope this helps.

Best mask is the one that fits your face. I have a personal preference for low profile as I find high profile masks "wobbly" on my face. Thats all there is to it!

Make sure you try on a mask with a regulator mouthpiece in your mouth, it affects the fit. Getting a mask that doesn't leak due to poor fit is by far the most important thing, and it really helps if you can try it out in a pool before buying. (Good luck on that one!)

Other than fit, it's nice to have a good field of vision, especially downward. I personally like the single lens frameless masks more than ones with frames and separate lenses. I'd get a black skirt as opposed to clear, certainly no purge valve. So you might try the atomic frameless, the oceanic shadow, the dive rite frameless, stuff like that. But, BY FAR the most important thing is getting a great fit.

They all work the same at depth, since pressure is equalized on both sides of the mask there's not much stress on them.

Yeah, go with black. That way no one can see the boogers when you try to equalize with your nose. :D

Color is really a personal choice - you allow more light in w/ a clear mask, but it really is not a major consideration - much more important is fit.

I would avoid any mask that has a "no fog" feature - I have found these don't work - I had 2 and returned both of them because they.....fogged!

Recently dove w/ an instructor who was trying one - by Scubapro - at the request of the LDS owner, and mid way through the dive switched over to her own mask b/c the no fog mask....fogged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom