Buying my first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I'm ready to jump in - ready to purchae my own BCD and Reg. At first I thought about HUB, but then read here about the problem of one piece of equipment goes, then the whole set-up is screwed.

Then I was leaning towards Morphos Airtrim, I really like the cocoon feature where the whole thing wraps around itself into a bundle of about 1' X 2". However, upon discussion with my LDS, I was convinced to stay away from the Airtrim, not for any performance issue, but I'm planning to get my Divemaster cert, and LDS suggested I should stay with "standard" equipment if I were to go for the Divemaster.

So, I'm back to square one. LDS showed my a Sherwood CQR Avid, and the entry-level Brut Reg. I like Sherwood Avid - the material looks tough, and everything looks well placed. I will try one on before I buy it though.

Now, here's my question: The Sherwood Avid doesn't have a hard backpack - It comes with 2 tank straps and I guess uses the tank as support. Has anyone had experience with soft-pack? Are they as comfortable or more than the hard-pack?

How about the Dacor Talon (without Airtrim)? The hard backpack looks really nice and comfortable. Any comment?

The other criteria I was looking for is light-weight. I'll be travelling lots with the equipment, and hate to lug heavy stuff around. The Sherwood Avid seems pretty light (LDS said it's due to lack of hard back-pack). How does the Dacor Talon compare? I read somewhere that SeaQuest Pro QD + (another possibility I was considering) was rather heavy.

Also, Regs...Sherwood Brut only has 1 High Pressure port. I was thinking when I eventually buy an air-integrated computer (I like Wisdom), should I keep the analog gauges as a back up (like when the computer fails etc)? Then I would need 2 HP ports, right? Any comment on the Dacor Viper Tec? I like the swivelling 1st stage of Viper Tec Gold, but it's rather pricey. Does anyone know if Sherwood Brut, Oasis, and Dacor Viper Tec are Nitrox compatible? Also, and opinion on the mounting of the 1st stage - Regular or vertical (there's a term for it, but it escapes me for the moment)? The vertical mount seems cleaner and less cluttered, and it appears allow better positioning of hoses?

Last but not least, I might be opening a whole can of worms here, but what about the piston vs diaphram argument on 1st stage?

Would appreciate all and any comments.

Thx

Oh. One more thing, LP has a package for $705 - Sherwood Avid CQR with Oasis Reg, Maximus Oct, and 3 gauge console, plus a reg bag. Sounds like a good deal. Opinion?

Thats the one I have I like it because surface time is very easy because it is jacket type and lets you float face up. I also like the air 2 and weight int.

I have a Seaquest ProQD. It is quite heavy, but it's a well made piece of kit that will stand up to a lot of use. Integrated weights, good inflator, lots of D rings and decent sized pockets. I like mine a lot.

Sherwood regs: I had a Sherwood Classic as my first reg. They are simple, reliable and easy to service. They have good cold water performance (if that's important to you), and they're reasonably priced. I believe that the first stage is virtually identical to the Brut. I think most modern regs are fine with nitrox to 50%

Balanced piston vs diaphragm: No real difference in performance terms for recreational divers. I'm told that piston first stages are harder to breathe from at depth, but I've not noticed it at depths down to 35m.

1st stage mount: I assume you are referring to DIN or A clamp fittings. DIN is more compact and secure, and has become the preferred choice over here in the UK and Europe. Get a DIN fitting, and buy an adaptor for those times you can't get tanks with DIN compatible valves.

I have a sea-quest pro QD+ and I love it. It is bulky but it is a solid piece of equipment. If your willing to go with a back inflate BC you may want to take a look at the dive-rite transpac II. My wife said that it was one of the lightest BC's she had ever tried and the whole thing is really tiny so it should pack well.

As for regs take a look at the APEKS they are the best bang for the buck.

Druid,

I guess I'm not describing the mount right; I'm aware of the DIN and "International" Yoke. But what I was referring to is how the 1st stage is positioned when mounted on the tank. Most of the ones I've seen mount with the "cylinder" perpendicular to the tank, but there are some that have the cylinder oriented so it's parellal to the tank. Am I making myself clear here....probably not....But if you look at a picture of Dacor Viper vs Viper America, you'll probably see what I mean.

And is it true that diaphram is better in dirty water? My LDS showed me a Sherwood Brut and said it's completely sealed (no water gets in), I thought Piston operate on the theory that the external water pressure determines the airflow or affects it somehow - has Sherwood overcome this issue and created a completely sealed unit?

I also have the Genesis Recon. It is a great BC! Have you decided why you don't want back inflate? And no, it doesn't push you face down unless you over inflate. The Recon and the Outback both have 75 lbs of lift which can come in handy depending on where you dive and how many scallops you are lugging up. Also, it is nice to have nothing in front of you to get in your way.

Regs, I am a ScubaPro fan. If you are going to spend the cash go for a balanced reg. I also dive the Air II and love it. I have the Cobra computer, it is AI and I see no need for a back up gauge. Just stay on top of your battery and you should be fine, why add another hose?

diver69:
Druid,

And is it true that diaphram is better in dirty water? My LDS showed me a Sherwood Brut and said it's completely sealed (no water gets in), I thought Piston operate on the theory that the external water pressure determines the airflow or affects it somehow - has Sherwood overcome this issue and created a completely sealed unit?

Sherwood use positive air pressure in the first stage to "seal" it, the pressure inside the first stage is slightly higher than the surrounding water pressure. This works well, but it causes a thin stream of bubbles to escape from the first stage. Brief your buddy about this, or they'll think that an o ring is about to fail :wink: I've dived mine in cold fresh water, and in murky seawater with no problems, down to a maximum of 35 m.

First stage orientation: I had a look at the Dacor website, and I see what you mean. Makes no difference really, and if you get a DIN fitting, you can orient it pretty much how you like - I notived that the Viper was not available with a DIN fitting in North America though.

I have recently replaced my Sherwood reg with an Apeks ATX40, so I'll second waterwraith's suggestion. It's an excellent reg at a very reasonable price. I don't think the ATX50 is worth the extra just for the breathing resistance adjustment - who wants to make a regulator harder to breathe from anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom