Buying my first Dive Computer need a little help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I been certified for 10 years but just got back into diving and doing about 6 dives a month. Currently just use depth gauge and bottom timer with tables but I now think it is worth it to buy a computer.
My budget is around $500
Currently only doing rec diving but might get into tech in a few years so what a computer I can use in gauge mode as a backup if I do decide to go the tech route.

Currently looking at these modes
Mares puck pro: On sale for $150 new really good deal or is it a little to basic and out grow it too soon?

Hollis dg03: $250 everyone seems to like it but is it worth the extra $100 compared to the mares puck pro?

Mares smart air: $350 supposedly it's rechargeable which is very nice and well help knowing you computer is always charged and ready to go.
Mares Smart Air / Nitrox Dive Computer Watch

Tusa IQ-950 $475 comes with computer cable and wireless transmitter which seems pretty cool and great price for everything you get.

Mares black icon HD: $550 with transmitter (scuba.com is having a sale package deal) a lot of money but seems really cool.

Two cheapies with gauge mode eg Mares Puck Pro.
Save the remaining dosh($200.00) for deco soft ware eg. deco planner, when you are ready for tec.

For the cheap option, I have been using a couple Hollis DG02 (same as Oceanic Veo180). It has a gauge mode and seems relatively simple to operate. You can find these new for under $200

I have not used a DG03, but it looks nice and give you the 3-gas option that you will need for Adv Nitrox/Deco. It can also do Air integrated on all 3 gasses if your into that.

I found a super deal on Dive Rite Nitek 3 that works pretty well but is a little large by todays standards.

With your budget of $500, you are really close to what used Shearwater Computers are selling for. If you don't mind being in for that amount, you might get lucky and find a gently used Predator or Petrel that you will probably never outgrow.

I would also look at Oceanic computers. Either a Veo 3 or Geo 2.0. Both are similar to DG03 but also offer a DSAT algorithm. Leisure Pro had Geo 2.0 on sale for 280,not sure if they still do or not. VEO 3 can be had for under $300 as well.

Both pretty easy to navigate (you also get a code for free online class when you buy either comouter), dual algorithm (DSAT and PZ+), nitrox, support for 2 different mixtures, PO2 from 1.2 to 1.6.

Puck Pro for $150 is a great price on a nitrox capable rec computer.

One question- Do you want air integration at all?

/popcorn

Suunto all the way baby :) I have done 1000's of dive and only ever had to change the battery a couple of times. They are a little conservative but they are safe :) The Zoop is a good model that i would recommend to you.

Geo 2.0 if it's on sale. Or wait for the Deep6 computer.

I think I paid 399 for my oceanic data pro 2. I love it. Air integrated, huge display, back lit, nitrox capable, easy to use. Compute dive time remaining based on air consumption as well. My wife used it once and I had to get her one as well. They have a new model out that is more expensive, but I think the 2 is still available. Awesome computers.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocndmpp2c/oceanic-pro-plus-21-air-integrated-computer-with-compass

Worth a look. We have a puck and a Veo as backups as well.

Jay

Thanks for your suggestions! Has anyone tried the Tusa IQ-950
I'm considering it or the oceanic Geo 2.0
The tusa comes with wireless transmitter, data cable for only $475 (scuba.com with 10% discount)
Looks like it can do everything the Geo 2.0 can do except change algorithms which is not a super big deal for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom