Buying My First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh I did not catch that either.....180 feet....well this is different.

Stop what you are doing and get technical training and get a set of doubles with a redundant gas supply like a minimum 40. You will also have to get a multi gas computer, and also get multi gas trained. Nitrox and trimix.

Do not by Yoke regs buy DIN with a yoke adaptor. Yoke has a failure point aka oring that can pop ...DIN is more reliable especially at depth to 180 feet....

Oh and get some dive experience while you are at it. and a large life insurance policy.

Anything below 130 is tech diving.

Stop what you are doing and get technical training and get a set of doubles with a redundant gas supply like a minimum 40.

Do not by Yoke regs buy DIN with a yoke adaptor. Yoke has a failure point aka oring that can pop ...DIN is more reliable especially at depth to 180 feet....

Oh and get some dive experience while you are at it. and a large life insurance policy.

Anything below 130 is tech diving.

Agreed, I would not venture past 130ft without technical training and a set of doubles for redundant gas.

And FYI the MK25 DIN IS a great reg for doubles.

BTW to HALOCLINE, it's not that I don't care about my equipment, I just have never purchased my own and have been renting for the past few years. If I asked for advice on a car to buy doesn't mean I can't drive.

I was being serious, I do wish I cared less about dive equipment, especially regulators. That doesn't mean anything about one's dedication to diving; if I cared less about regulators, I'd have far fewer of them and spend more time just enjoying diving as opposed to obsessing about keeping my regs working perfectly. I was somewhat forced into DIY regulator service by the extreme incompetence of the "certified" techs at my LDS. Now its a full blown hobby, and it does have its advantages. The point is, I was not intending to make a statement about your dive ability by noticing your lack of interest and/or knowledge of regulators, particularly the hose issue.

However, then you said you "enjoy diving deep (180ft)" and I realized that you are, in fact, a dangerously clueless diver if you dive that deep on a single tank with no technical training. If you are using doubles/stages and have been trained in advanced decompression and possibly trimix, I apologize.

Thank you in advance for the help. I consider myself still a newbie, have logged 60 dives and completely convinced I am going to be in this sport for the rest of my life.

My question is I feel I am finally ready to purchase my first Regulator. From research and DMs I've stayed in touch with I am going with the Scubapro MK25/A700, but what else is required to complete the reg setup???

I have a wrist dive computer (non-intergrated), obviously need an octo, but additional hoses, consoles, ect I am lost on.

Thank you!!!
I'm very impressed by my new HOG stage two reg. When I need the full set, I'm going to go with a HOG set. Incredibly well made and a great bargain, too.

---------- Post Merged at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Holy sh*t, you guys rock!!!
I have entertained looking at used and mid grade gear, but when it comes to regs I really want to buy one that I will use for the foreseeable future (with proper maintance of course!)
Now here is where I show my true ignorance...
By the looks of the Scubapro's website I would get the first stage that attaches directly to the tank, the hose that leads from the first stage to the second.
Therefore in addition to the MK25/A700, I would need to purchase an Octo, hose leading from the first stage to the Octo, a hose from the first stage to the BC, a SPG and a hose from the first stage to the SPG???
Where do I find hoses that are compatible?
In your guy's opinion am I doing this right, buying one top of the line piece at a time as I can afford them? Started with fins/mask/booties at my OW, wrist computer a couple years ago, wetsuit after my AOW, now a reg, down the road BC, way down the road an air integrated dive watch?

Thank you again for all the help!
Just check out the HOG/EDGE line. Will save money and get you equipment that will work for you no matter what type of diving you want to do in the future.

Back
Top Bottom