• Aqualung

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Apeks

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Scubapro

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why you not looknig into Mares aswell. . My Reg is the Mares Abyss 42 with the din fitting and my B.C Mares Icon. . The reg is very light, extreamly comfortble to breath at all dephts and positions and can be used for technical diving if you decide to do technical diving later. . The B.C is a back invlation with integrated weights, if you planning on traveling alot then its the perfect B.C, it can roll up very small and you can carry it on the plain as hand laguage. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the HOG cold water first stage over the warm water first stage other than the obvious?

Slight disadvantage - the cold version is bigger/longer. Not a huge amount though…

Big advantage - the cold version is enviromentqllt sealed!

Even though I don't dive true cold water I still bought the D1 Cold for the enviromental seal. Should protect the inner working of the 1st stage

Im torn between my HOG and my Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. Both are solid regs, and i love the HOG, but I can get parts a little easier for my Legend. I've owned some MRES regs in the past and they are just too expensive to rebuild. ScubaPro has some great gear, but I dont like thier online buying policys.
Get something in your pricerange, and works well for you, and go divin

don't buy a suunto I have one and they are way to conservative

You say that like conservative is a bad thing. I don't think that is necessarily true. I would suggest that maybe for some people conservative would be a good thing. It is all opinion and how you want to dive. I have a Suunto and am quite pleased with it.

HOGs seem good and competitively priced, but getting parts/service in Australia may be an issue

You can buy 2nd hand Apeks or SP regs for about the same price as new HOGs

Suunto computers are just fine

I have a spare Halcyon Eclipse I'll sell you; PM sent

The Apeks and Aqualung brands are owned by the same corporation, so the service centers, sales policies, and business models for both brands will be the same, although the specific product models do differ, so particular retail outlets may carry only part of the entire Apeks/Aqualung range.

I own the Halcyon Eclipse and it's an awesome BC. Very comfortable and it's set-up for any type of diving I might get into. Asfar as the Reg's its kinda personal choice.

Water temps will play a Part. I own a ScubaPro MK17/G250V reg set and its awesome. I also own an Atomic M1 set. Both sets in my opinon are equal as far as breathing performance. As for water temps I feel the MK17/G250V has slight edge for colder waters. As it is a "True Sealed" 1st stage compared to Atomics enviro kit which basically fills the 1st stage with crysto lube which acts as an anti freeze but still has a possibility very slim possibility of it freezing. Either way you go both make great regs

Computers I have 2 oceanics which work great and have had no problems with them. Also have used the Uemis Zurich which is a very nice computer and works great.

Not sure if your interested in Buying online or not But if you happen to be purchasing a few Items. There are a few stred here in the US that would be well worth an Email or phone call as a package and you might be surprised when the work you you a great deal. A couple I have done bussiness with and im sure others as well can recomend.
www.indianvalleyscuba.com
www.diverightinscuba.com
As well as a couple others

Last edited:
I started out as an Aqualung fan but as sas and others mentioned I will no longer buy any products made by a company unwilling to sale via the internet and definately not from companies with fixed price policies. Aqualung makes some good products bar none but if I cant get it off the internet then I dont want it (Despite Id make my first attempt when possible at a local dive shop just to support them first)

Now computers some have down played Suunto but in my opinion its the best on the market but a little pricey. The Suunto Cobra is my choice and I use the detachable console set up.

BCD if you wanted my opinion on the best there is it would settle with Zeagle due to their zeus being so travel friendly and their ranger LTD being so adaptive to nearly anything you would ever need in a bcd. Your able to find them fairly easy in shops across the planet and just as easy to find online. I was sold on them based upon how easy new divers quickly adapt to the bcds and how easily everything is interchanged. If you were to buy one local and the shop were to close it would not be the end of the world you just order what you need online. and since the prices are not fixed you can sometimes come across good deals with Zeagle.

Regs I am currently using a scuba pro but their replacement parts cost make annual service not convenient but a must unless you want to morgage the house to get replacement parts. Personaly Id stay with a company that cares enough about its clients to allow them the freedom of ordering and buying in any way that they feel is most convinient :)

don't buy a suunto I have one and they are way to conservative

just to give another side of the story, this is exactly why i use a suunto mosquito as a backup computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom