Buying ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying a Scubapro regulator, and getting a diaphragm first always seems to me like going to Newick's Lobsters and ordering chicken. I mean, it'll probably be OK, but you aren't taking advantage of the situation.

Oh the MK16 is just the current version of the former 14/18. Amost all the working parts are the same but they simplified it by leaving some stuff off.

I dive the MK16/R380 and love it. The balanced diaphram MK16 is preferred in silty environments, over a balanced piston design. :)

I've used a ScubaPro Mk20/G250 with R190 alternate for over five years now. I love the way it breathes, and have no performance complaints....other than that I will never buy another turret-equipped first stage again. It's an unnecessary failure point.

When it came time to buy a second reg set for my new doubles, I checked out the new SP regs, but went with Apeks DS4/ATX50 instead. SP's prices are unjustifiable given equivalent performance to Apeks, IMHO, and I really hate SP's approach to online/mailorder sales and to discounting.

The fact that Apeks seems to be becoming the tech divers' reg of choice made the decision even easier. :)

I purchased the MK16/S550 and feel very comfortable with my choice. I wanted a dependable (who doesn't) setup. My LDS was insturmental in my selection but not high pressure. I felt that I could get much of the performance out of the second stage that is found on their higher modles but w/o the increase in price.

Originally posted by metridium
I will never buy another turret-equipped first stage again.
. :)
What is a turret-equipped first stage?:confused:

Originally posted by barb

What is a turret-equipped first stage?:confused:
A first stage with a swivel on one end. It makes hose routing a bit easier, but at the price of having an extra dynamic o-ring. I've had this part fail before, and don't ever care to repeat the experience.

Our whole family dives mk20/s600 with r190 octos and we all love them. Cannot seem to overbreathe them no matter what, perform great at 20' and 120'. PLUS, they are so well balanced that if you crank your tank valve down, there is still no noticeable swing on your SPG (not that I recommend that! I came across it when I was explaining to a new diver how you can make sure your air is on by watching your SPG while you breathe your reg-100% open and the needle does not move, completely closed and you swing to 0, and until my SP regs, 50% open results in the needle swinging down on inhalation and back up as it re-pressurizes)

Ken

A good combination of Scuba Pro product in the market currently is MK20 & S600. Although they released MK25 but basically they both have good quality and will be cheaper if you buy MK20.
Currently, I have MK15 with G250, so far I really satisfied with it. I've been to 60 meters with it and it was really light breathing. Only the spare part that quite expensive here in Indonesia compare to other brand like Aqualung or even Apex. Some fellow divers suggested me to buy Apex ATX 200.

I have a MK25, a MK10, a S600, a G250 and a R190. They all perform very well, and I can't tell any real difference between them. ScubaPro regulators have a few more parts than other brands but, they are the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom