Buying used equipment - Bad idea or Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Jeni!! Racking up the knowledge in a hurry. :D

Haha! I know, I feel like I'm posting too much, but for some reason I can't hardly think of anything but diving in the last week. I wake up thinking about it. Scary, huh? :)

I have bought used gear and been perfectly satisfied with it. BUT I have also traded perfectly good gear for gear that is found to be faulty or broken. So, buyer beware.

Accessories, hoods, gloves, weights, fins, bags, tanks .... lots of things to sell and trade.

I believe in buying new masks, regulators, BC, and wetsuits.

I sold a scooter for half of what I bought it for and it was practically new. The guy got a deal because I wanted it to go. So there are good deals to be had.

I'm not sure what a scooter is?

.... Just be careful and do your research.

Good advice, and it applies equally to brand new equipment.

Most new divers end up buying some gear that is not exactly what they wanted or needed, but looked great in the showroom.

Ask lots of questions, do as much research as you can; then you make an informed decision about buying used.

I've bought new and used tanks and regulators, and was really pleased. But I knew exactly what I wanted.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Best wishes.

Caveat Emptor applies especially to used equipment. You pay your money and you take your chances because most used equipment don't have warranties.

I do not buy used gear online, that's for sure. I have bought refurbished gears from LDS that I know and trust. I may consider buying used gears from individual divers if I know them well.

It's in my nature to bargin shop, but I was thinking...is it safe or a good idea to buy used scuba equipment?

Have you ever bought used equipment? What do you think about buying something used?

Don't buy weights new, you can save substantial money buying lead on E-Bay. That tip came from someone else here and saved me some cash.

I don't buy used wetsuits or masks. Other than that, everything is fair game. Used gear can save you a substantial amount of money and there is no reason to throw money away if you don't have to, in my opinion.

As others have said, do your research first, whether buying new or used, and you will be fine most of the time. This applies to the gear and the seller. There are a few unscrupulous types trying to swindle people, and a few more people who simply don't know what they are selling is a lemon, but I think you'll find most people selling used SCUBA gear genuinely believe (and are correct) that they gear they are selling will be just fine.

I am a Craigslist shopper, and 90% of the people selling gear there are just getting out of the sport because of family obligations or just lost interest etc. The gear is generally over-priced still but you can haggle pretty easily with people for gear they don't want or need. Get it inspected afterward if it needs it, and you'll be fine.

Don't buy weights new, you can save substantial money buying lead on E-Bay. That tip came from someone else here and saved me some cash.

Oh yeah! That absolutely makes sense! Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who posted advice! I truly appreciate it, and how welcoming everyone is to a newbie :) Thanks!

Heck most of my gear was purchased used. Even if it was purchased new after one dive it is used. So why not buy something that someone else took on a couple dives? There is so much gear available to purchase IF you know what you are looking for. Sometimes it takes a little time to find exactly what you want though.

Ebay, craigslist, Scubaboard, The Deco Stop, friends, etc. are all great places to pick up gear.

Back
Top Bottom