Buying used equipment - Bad idea or Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both of my tanks (AL 80's) were obtained used. One cost me $20 (had air in it)and the other cost me $30 (was empty but looked great outside). They both needed hydro and vis, but I figured that for what I paid, I could sell them for scrap aluminum if they failed their inspection. They both passed with flying colors. The guy who inspected it at my LDS actually told me that the tank without air in it was the cleanest, and best looking tank he had ever inspected, to include new tanks... Deals such as this can be found on craigslist if you are patient and persistent.

TXapacheguy has it right for CraigsList and Scubaboard! If you have the time monitoring SB classifieds you can find awesome deals. Like everyone has stated, do your research. talk with other divers to get know what works for them and what doesn't and most importantly why? What's the difference between a diaphragm and piston 1st stage? Is a trilam better than a neoprene dry suit? There is a neoprene dry suit?!?

As someone told me, even though I don't have the newest, top-of-the-line gear, I am out in the water diving and that's what matters. No one has looked at my gear and burst out laughing saying "OMG you're gonna dive with that gear" :rofl3:

Have fun and dive and learn

I'd suspect that the majority of the gear that my group dives with was acquired used. Everything from regs and drysuits to scooters.

Now we just need a used compressor and a boat to put it on.

I bought most all my gear used. The majority came from this board and 1 ebay purchase. My mask, fins, snorkel, booties, wetsuit and octo were all purchased new.

The ebay purchase was for an older Oceanic regulator set that I basically bought for the console and inflator hose. For the price I paid, I feel like I got the 1st & 2nd stage and the octo for free. They work fine, but need an overhaul before going back in the box for backups.

So, by watching the boards and deals at places like Scuba Toys and Leisure Pro, I have less than $600.00 in all my equipment, including my tanks. I still need to get a dive computer and i will be set.

I bought a used drysuit under an agreement of buy back if not happy after one dive, same for the woman's drysuit. No trouble with either.

My BCD was a used knighthawk from scuba pro. It was in better shape than described, I can strongly recommend going this route if they have what you want.

Someone I know who has been diving for years told me not to buy used equipment that is meant to keep you alive. However, she will buy other equipment used. In fact, she gave me a used 5 mil wetsuit she bought on ebay. It fits perfectly and I have never had a problem with it.

Nine of my ten tanks are used. Three regulators are used. You need to know what your looking at before you buy. You need to know what brands / models perform well and which don't. My Scubapro Mk V regulator is 40 years old and still works great. I bought 2 used Mk V's, had them serviced and use them without hesitation. Tanks are tanks I just bought a steel tank for $10.00. The inside was rusty. I had the ID glass beaded, wire brushed and purged with nitrogen. Also replaced the old J valve with a used K valve. It past hydro total cost $90.00. At 57 years old I'm sure that tank has more years of diving left in it then I do.

The best way to buy tanks are VIPed and hydro'd. If they are not then they should be priced CHEAP. A slightly used newer BC, that is one that is a late model and looks new is probably fine. Make sure it holds air and the over inflation valve works.

If the BC is old and looks good be very fussy especially on the price. I had a very slightly used old BC stored for a long time it is trash. It leaks like a sieve.

If your not sure don't buy it.

Being a boater/fisherman as well as scuba diver, I visit a lot of forums, all the forums have for sale sections.

In my opinion, the guys on this board are really good about what they sell and it's condition.

If you go the e-bay route, just be sure to look at the feedback. I had purchased a used Gemini from e-bay. It did not work right, the seller fixed it right away. I've passed on bidding on many items on e-bay due to feedback concerns.

Craigslist is a good, but you need to be quick if you find something you like. Cash is king as they say.

If it was not for used stuff, I'd not have a boat, house, fishing equipment, scuba stuff, golf clubs, car...... Not saying I've bought all my stuff used, but definately sold "old" stuff to get cash for new stuff, and bought high quality used items.

Buy second hand, not *used*. More than half of what comes up is nearly unused. Don't buy the well used stuff, just because the odds aren't nearly as good. In addition, ask or check about the visible condition of unused stuff, make sure it was cared for. Lastly, don't buy used gear from your LDS 'cause its' surely the most used and most overpriced stuff out there, even the ex-instructor/divemaster stuff. Bargain hard 'cause there's tons of stuff out there.

I've bought lots of gear from eBay, craigslist, and garage sales and it's almost invariably just fine, though of course you can always be fooled. One thing I've gotten bit by a couple times is used fins - check for small splits about to become big splits, along the spines especially. I do buy the exposure gear new since it wears out quickly with use. In the world of ridiculously overpriced scuba gear, I'd say the BC is the worst offender (or is it the computer?...) - buy used for sure, and not the latest hottest model.

Upgrade when you perceive a real (not internet- fomented) functional value, not for conspicous consumption, and you can go years without laying out much additional scrip for your pricey hobby!

Lastly, don't buy used gear from your LDS 'cause its' surely the most used and most overpriced stuff out there, even the ex-instructor/divemaster stuff. Bargain hard 'cause there's tons of stuff out there.

I asked my LDS once about buying used from them. They told me they don't sell their used stuff to the general public because it is completely worn out. They sell all of their used gear to a broker in Mexico...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom