Buying Used Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the regs I own were bought used since they don't make the Scubapro Mk10 any more. All of them were fine upon receipt. I also buy G250s and almost all of them were fine with the exception of a newer model, one of the ones with the plastic parts. It free flowed upon receipt and I set it aside for nearly a year, then took it in to be serviced with the rest of my regs. Turned out the nut had been tightened too much and the damned plastic part had cracked. Your mileage may vary.

Turned out the nut had been tightened too much and the damned plastic part had cracked. Your mileage may vary.

Why I like to stick with the metal seconds.

Bob

Why I like to stick with the metal seconds.

Indeed... now I know better than to buy the newer ones

funny...

Let's define "newer" ones...

The ScubaPro Air1 (no, not the integrated octo/inflator) was first produced in 1979 - first non-metal bodied SP regulator
The D-series started in 1986
The G250 started in 1986
The BA/156 (metal case) was 1985
The 109 was 1969
The 108 was 1963...

dates obtained from the ScubaPro "Regulator Timeline"

funny...

Let's define "newer" ones...

You have to factor in the age of the dinosaurs that are talking. New is a relative concept.

As for plastic, Sherwood, as I remember, started with 1/2 plastic seconds (back case steel, front case plastic) and went to completely plastic seconds in the mid '70's. The first full plastic seconds had some problems, but the ones in the '80's are pretty tough, but won't take abuce like a steel.

Bob

Mares makes 2nds that are all metal - Abyss and Proton Metals. Also very easy to service with the end port for adjusting the lever height. Plus the Protons allow the removal of the face without tools.

I buy lots of second hand dive equipment. BUT: only stuff that I know and I know I can service myself.

If you are not comfortable with servicing it yourself, then ask your LDS about it before you purchase.

Used, seriously, is there any OTHER kind of regulator? Of the 41 (or 43) regulators currently in my personal inventory, exactly three were purchased new. 1) US Divers Conshelf SE in 1985, 2) Nemrod Snark III Silver (double hose) in 1987, and my Christmas present in 2015, an Argonaut Kraken (double hose). So I love to purchase used regulators.

Here is what I would do in this case: First evaluate your own comfort level for purchasing and possibly self-servicing the regulators you were offered. If you are comfortable with both aspects, then buy them, if you are comfortable with purchasing but not servicing them, check with a LDS that you trust to see if they would be willing to service equipment of the brands you are considering. Get their rates for parts and labor (some places charge more if the equipment wasn't purchased there originally, also warranty work like free parts forever usually only applies to the original purchaser who has maintained the recommended service intervals). If you are comfortable following that, then buy away. If you are not comfortable following your LDS review, then don't purchase.

Buying used regulators can be a great source of saving $$$ (unless it becomes an addiction, ask my wife). Properly maintained, you can get 60+ years of service from a regulator. I know because I have several over 60 that I still dive.

Buying used regulators........unless it becomes an addiction, ask my wife

it is great to know that my illness is not unique...

Back
Top Bottom