c-5000 and me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuckrt

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that oly's are very popular and I would like some help. I purchased an olympus 5000 and case and am wondering what the good and the bad points of this camera are. I am new to underwater photo but have used a Toshiba digital so I'm not to unfamiliar with digitals. Is there a long lag time for the shutter? with this unit or are they alot faster than they used to be.

Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
chuckrt

chuckrt:
It seems that oly's are very popular and I would like some help. I purchased an olympus 5000 and case and am wondering what the good and the bad points of this camera are. I am new to underwater photo but have used a Toshiba digital so I'm not to unfamiliar with digitals. Is there a long lag time for the shutter? with this unit or are they alot faster than they used to be.

Thanks
chuckrt

I've owned many Olympus and Toshiba digital cameras (and a bunch of others...) and I can tell you that it IS better than it used to be.

That said, most of the speed divident has been realized on the write times, and not in the decrease of shutter lag for these consumer level cameras.

Shutter lag is a byproduct of the way cameras at this level manage light to the sensor, calculate the correct settings (including flash), etc, etc. Its just part of shooting at this level.

That said, it IS better than is used to be - especially of you're used to the old Toshiba cams... you'll love the menus and the imaging of your Olympus much better.

Enjoy.

K

chuckrt:

Thanks
chuckrt
I have a C-5000 and PT-019 housing-which is avalable in the US now. The shutter is fairly fast! Might need a strobe of some kind if you dive in turbid water like we have in the NW. Or just use it for close-up photos. The camera will focus at 1.6 inches. Some on the web complain about slow shutter on the C-5050. I don't have any complaints about the C-5000. I had a Nikon 4030 for one day and took it back for the slow shutter. (auto-focus)

Back
Top Bottom