'C-5050' and 'C-5050 Zoom' same camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the time to learn to set your white balance at depth. The C-5050 is capible of this - but you must reset it every 10-15 feet as the water filters out the different colors. I use a white writting slate to set the white balance - then I don't use the flash. You won't believe the colors that you will achieve - without flash. When you get the white balance set the camera knows what all of the colors of the spectrem should be and compensates for the loss of color caused by the water filtering the rays of the sun. Reds are red, yellows are yellow and blues become blue - without flash - in daylight shots.

Just in case anyone gets worried about 'different versions' a couple of points.
It's true that the version sold in Japan is only for the domestic market. If you did buy such a camera the warranty would only work here.
It's also true that the Japanese version comes with Japanese documentation - however English manuals are available for download from The Olympus America site and there is no difference in the camera's.
It is NOT true that the Japanese version only has the display in Japanese. This is a programmable function and you can switch the display between several languages. The available languages in the menu differ slightly according to region - but English is always an option.

Well now...guess what! Just got a call from MPSuperstore.com and they told me they were out of stock on the c-5050's, and don't expect to get any more in. They tried to sell me a c-5060, but I told them I already have a housing on the way for the 5050 and to just cancel my order. Now, I've got to find another source for the c-5050.

edit: For those of you keeping track of my (mis)fortunes, I went through ebay this time and believe I actually came out with a better deal this time. It's still a refurb, 3-year warranty, tripod, cleaning kit, and comes with the nimh batteries and charger. You can check the details here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3831596641

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom