'C-5050' and 'C-5050 Zoom' same camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I just talked to a sales person and he's going to call me back in a few minutes. He told me that the c-5050 cannot use standard alkaline batteries and tried to sell me a super-high capacity rechargeable pack for $100. Is what he says true? What does everybody else use and what is the going rate?

He's trying to sell you a load of bull hocky! You can get an excellent faster charger and a set of 2300MiNH batteries HERE for less than $50.

I can't say you can't use alkaline batteries, I've never tried, but I don't see why you couldn't.

I figured as much...I wasn't planning on buying them. I'll hold out until I actually read the instructions with the camera. Now if he'd just call me back...

Well, it looks like I almost made a mistake. The guy never called back and I didn't catch his name, so I called back and spoke with another sales rep.

According to this guy, the c-5050 comes in 2 forms - US and International. Apparently the difference is that the International version has everything in Japanese...including the text in display. Also, the warranty is from Japan, so the camera would have to be sent back to Japan for any warranty work.

The US version is going for $459 and the International is $369. The international price was what I was quoted, but the guy never told me there was more than 1 version. Looks like I'm going to be digging around a little more.

Okay, finally have a camera on its way. I ended up going through mpsuperstore.com and got a refurb for $369, and then an additional 5-year warranty for another $79. Now it's time to buy a housing...

torrey:
Okay, I just talked to a sales person and he's going to call me back in a few minutes. He told me that the c-5050 cannot use standard alkaline batteries and tried to sell me a super-high capacity rechargeable pack for $100. Is what he says true? What does everybody else use and what is the going rate?
I've used regular alkaline batteries on mine with no problems, but it may vary from brand to brand. I just got myself a couple sets of good 2300 MaH NiMH rechargeables. No problem.

torrey:
Okay, finally have a camera on its way. I ended up going through mpsuperstore.com and got a refurb for $369, and then an additional 5-year warranty for another $79. Now it's time to buy a housing...

I am vicariously enjoying this! :D

GEAR FEVER...AINT IT GREAT!

Hey there,
make sure you spend time at the wetpixel and digitaldiver sites, there is a wealth of friendly information from those folks. I should know.... did my homework there for about two months before I bought my c-5050 :)
maria

b&h just restocked the Oly housings....

sharkdiver00:
b&h just restocked the Oly housings....

Thanks for telling me...I was having trouble finding places with them in stock that didn't want $300 for them. Just placed my order with B&H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom