C-53

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Cozumel in August, and have been talking with a few different dive operations there about where to dive. I'm coming in on a cruise ship, so the schedule is wacky.

I really want to dive on the C-53 minesweeper. However, one outfit that said they couldn't meet my schedule anyway said that the dive is too advanced and no one will likely take me there without having the time to assess my skills. This was BlueXTSea.

This other dive operation said no problem, I'll take you wherever you want to go. This is DiveWithMartin. I am chartering a private boat with DWM because otherwise I can't get any diving in within my timeframe. (Stoopid cruise lines.)

Both operations have had positive reviews on this board. So now I'm wondering what's up? Is the C-53 really an unsafe dive site? NOTE: I'm not even interested in penetration, I just want to swim around the outside.

Who's done this dive, and who can tell me if I'm getting in over my head wanting to go dive this. I've read about this shipwreck in some Dive books, and they don't say anything about it being that difficult or challenging.

Experience level is rookie AOW. Got about a dozen dives to my name.

Wijbrandus:
Both operations have had positive reviews on this board. So now I'm wondering what's up? Is the C-53 really an unsafe dive site? NOTE: I'm not even interested in penetration, I just want to swim around the outside.
I guess that depends on your definition of safe. I've done the dive twice and it was a penetration both times. The currents around the wreck can be pretty trickey. It's sitting in a bowl so sometimes the current is even going in the opposite direction from the prevailing current. It's about a 50-80 foot dive. It's pretty open and safe inside and if the current is bad, inside is definatly the safer place to be :).

Only you can decide if it's too much of a dive for you. But I agree with Christi's shop. I would not take a diver to C-53 until I had a chance to see their skills.

Dive with Martin is a highly recommended dive op and I'm sure if they think it would be unsafe to go I would head there advice. I have made the the C-53 dive and we did go inside, it's really cool but kind of tight quarters at spots, (but I'm 6'-4" and 200lbs+), and very dark without a light in others, i always take a small light with me day or night. Last dive I made on the C-53 was a year ago and the reef is still developing so not a whole lot to see, some mid sized grouper hanging out outside and some large schools of small fish just inside some of the cut-outs, and an occational crab or shrimp tucked away here or there.
I'm a 20+ diver and safety is the very first priority with me so if you or dive op have any doughts, just hit the reef, there's so much more to see and the ship will be there next time.
best wishes,
sharky
Wijbrandus:
I am going to be in Cozumel in August, and have been talking with a few different dive operations there about where to dive. I'm coming in on a cruise ship, so the schedule is wacky.

I really want to dive on the C-53 minesweeper. However, one outfit that said they couldn't meet my schedule anyway said that the dive is too advanced and no one will likely take me there without having the time to assess my skills. This was BlueXTSea.

This other dive operation said no problem, I'll take you wherever you want to go. This is DiveWithMartin. I am chartering a private boat with DWM because otherwise I can't get any diving in within my timeframe. (Stoopid cruise lines.)

Who's done this dive, and who can tell me if I'm getting in over my head wanting to go dive this. I've read about this shipwreck in some Dive books, and they don't say anything about it being that difficult or challenging.

Experience level is rookie AOW. Got about a dozen dives to my name.

i have dove it twice...not a big fan of it...penetrated it both times...if you are just going there to look at it from the outside then it's not worth your time because of the current, and not too exciting on the outside...the inside is cool...have pictures of husband sitting on the toilets......went all the way to the bottom of the boat and it is pitch black if no light...and yes there are some tight spots...just have some good bouyancy....and you will do fine...
melissa

I've also dove it twice, and penetrated it both times.
I love it. I call it my favorite wreck dive.
But, as was said before you must have a light, and you must be very comfortable with your bouyancy and all around dive skills.
To go down and just swim around it, without going in, is a waste, IMHO. So if you're not comfortable with penetrating it yet, get more reef diving under your belt. You can always do it next time.

I've dove the wreck twice and enjoyed it. There are some huge groupers hanging out around the stern. The current can be strong, but ducking behind objects helps. I penetrated on both dives and loved it. The silver dollar fish were in one area by the hundreds. Like said above, you'll need a light and good bouyancy and enjoy.

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

Right.

Don't have great bouyancy yet. I'm not comfortable with wreck penetration at this time. I'll mark it off the list until another time.

Thanks for all the honest input.

Wijbrandus:
Right.

Don't have great bouyancy yet. I'm not comfortable with wreck penetration at this time. I'll mark it off the list until another time.

Thanks for all the honest input.

If you want to dive Cozumel, and I highly recommend it, then you should consider going back some time and spending at least a few days there in order to do it justice. As a sidebar to cruising you'll at the very best get a view from a galloping horse.

Cheers,

Ok, I need to clarify a few things.

1) I'm not doing the C-53. It's off the table for me. The feedback I've gotten from my buddies here on SB has shown me who is more correct in this situation.

2) I did not mean to disrespect Christi and BlueXTSea in my post in any way. I would like to state that if anything in this thread has come across as negative, it was unintentional and not what I intended. I actually did appreciate her advice on the matter; it wasn't necessary for her to volunteer that info since we weren't able to come to an arrangement.

3) My concern is how and why I get two different answers from two different dive operations that are both supposed to be reputable and concerned for the safety of their divers. Yet one warns me off of what could be an unsafe dive, and the other is like, "No problem, I'll bring the lights."

4) I do cruises because I like to see a lot of places and they enable me to do a lot of diving in different locations. Also, I have to consider the wishes of my wife in our vacation selections. Even though she is a certified diver, she is unwilling to commit to any one spot without having at least seen many of the options. I know it's not the way some of you would do it, but it works for us, until we are comfortable enough to go somewhere for a longer vacation that's based only in one spot.

Ok, now that I've got all this off my chest, I'm going to go have a beer and forget all about this stuff for a good while.

Happy diving.

Wijbrandus:
3) My concern is how and why I get two different answers from two different dive operations that are both supposed to be reputable and concerned for the safety of their divers. Yet one warns me off of what could be an unsafe dive, and the other is like, "No problem, I'll bring the lights."
This is a common attitude in the Carribean. Dive shops often take a "no problem man" attitude to diving and peoples skills. When you are looking at recomendations, they often come, not from new divers, but from experienced divers who appreciate this attitude. We like to be able to do the dives we want without being babysat. As a newer diver, it is your responsibility to set your own limits, as you have done. Don't expect dive shops to do it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom