C-53

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus - just wanted to say kudos to you for asking questions, checking the facts and making an informed decision that you feel is right for you. I wish more divers would do this.

Have a fabulous time on your cruise and with your diving!!

Wijbrandus:
Ok, I need to clarify a few things.
4) I do cruises because I like to see a lot of places and they enable me to do a lot of diving in different locations. Also, I have to consider the wishes of my wife in our vacation selections. Even though she is a certified diver, she is unwilling to commit to any one spot without having at least seen many of the options. I know it's not the way some of you would do it, but it works for us, until we are comfortable enough to go somewhere for a longer vacation that's based only in one spot.

Ok, now that I've got all this off my chest, I'm going to go have a beer and forget all about this stuff for a good while.

Happy diving.

Whoa, dude, I was not criticizing, I was just pointing out that Coz has far more to offer, diving-wise, than you can possibly get more than a whiff of by diving there during an 8 hour (or whatever) stop on a cruise ship. To get into the really good stuff, you've got to do some exploring and develop a bit of a rep with whoever you're diving with, and with the time you'll have, it's just not feasible.

As to why you're doing what you're doing, that's certainly your business and none of mine. I extend my sincerest wishes that you and your wife have a great time on your trip, and I hope you guys can get back to Coz some time and stay a while so that you can experience it to the fullest.

Peace,

ggunn:
I was just pointing out that Coz has far more to offer, diving-wise, than you can possibly get more than a whiff of by diving there during an 8 hour (or whatever) stop on a cruise ship. To get into the really good stuff, you've got to do some exploring and develop a bit of a rep with whoever you're diving with, and with the time you'll have, it's just not feasible.

No worries, GGun. Even when I try to clarify, it comes out wrong. :11:

I agree with you entirely. We just haven't decided on where we want to spend a week's worth of vacation yet. We really liked Aruba, for example, and didn't like Cayman at all. Those two islands most people feel the opposite about. This trip we are seeing the Keys and Coz. The next cruise will be the eastern Carib, and then I think we'll be ready to start hitting places for a week at a time.

Some people order whatever sounds good on the menu at the time. We prefer the buffet, nibble a bit on everything, and then go back for a plate full of the good stuff.

Wijbrandus:
No worries, GGun. Even when I try to clarify, it comes out wrong. :11:

I agree with you entirely. We just haven't decided on where we want to spend a week's worth of vacation yet. We really liked Aruba, for example, and didn't like Cayman at all. Those two islands most people feel the opposite about. This trip we are seeing the Keys and Coz. The next cruise will be the eastern Carib, and then I think we'll be ready to start hitting places for a week at a time.

Some people order whatever sounds good on the menu at the time. We prefer the buffet, nibble a bit on everything, and then go back for a plate full of the good stuff.

For what it's worth, for two really beautiful dives which would be appropriate and very enjoyable for your experience level, I would suggest Palancar Gardens (spectacular coral formations) for the first dive, and Yucab or Tormentos (lots of marine life and beautiful sponges and coral) for the second dive.

Have a great trip!

James Goddard:
As a newer diver, it is your responsibility to set your own limits, as you have done. Don't expect dive shops to do it for you.
Well Said!

What the heck, I'll put my two cents worth in... I'm not sure what your itinerary is for the cruise ship, but if the Cozumel stop is the first or second day, I would recommend the dives that Christi mentioned. If Cozumel is one of the last stops, and you get some good diving in at some other destinations, work on your buoyancy a little, and if you feel comfortable go for the C-53. I've dove it 3 times, and probably will again next week, during my vacation, and enjoy looking at the new growth each time. The ship is very diver friendly, however be sure to wear gloves, it is the only dive where the dive operators let you wear gloves, because there can be some sharp edges, if you happen to grab onto something sharp. I like your sample plate analogy, enjoy your cruise, and safe diving.

Bruce

I have dove the wreck twice and I LOVED IT. . . but since you have wisely removed it from yor list, I won't babble on about it.

I will however echo Christi's suggestion about Palancar. Diving at the Palancar Gardens was really spectacular. I will definitely be doing that area again in just over a week.

Palancar is a really huge reef with several distinct areas, and all have pluses and minuses. I only tell you this to make sure that you realize that Palancar Caves is not the same as Palancar Gardens.

Just my dos pesos,

Wristshot

I have dove the C53 several times and quite frankly would take any dive in Palancar over the C53. I have heard the currents can be tricky but have never experienced that. I am sure you won't be disappointed with any of the dives in Cozumel.

Have a great cruise. I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences with diving and cruises becuase my wife is demanding a cruise next year instead of a dive only vacation. She is a non diver and has put up with the past trips so I think it is in my best interest to simply say "Yes Dear".

....I've dove C-53 twice (July 03 and Oct 03, did 8 dives in 48 hours on each trip, so I've now got 16 Cozumel dives under my 'weightbelt').......and strangely enough, of all 16 dives, my 2 C-53 dives were the ONLY 2 dives where we experienced ZERO current! ......everyone kept scaring us, saying how fierce the currents would be, but both dives there turned out to be dream dives, absolutely no currents, so we swam around/over/under/inside the ship at will...it was GREAT!!!

I'd never even done any blue-water dives before, much less drift-diving, but I was amazed at how well our group did.......a number of us were pretty inexperienced and had never dove the ocean before, but Cozumel turned out GREAT!!!

I would say that perhaps we were 'lucky' at C-53 with respect to currents, and more likely than not currents will be there, so given your experience level, it might be a good idea to skip the C-53 this time...if you got 'blown-off' the C-53 you'd separate from the other divers and end up God-knows-where....so perhaps Christi made a wise judgement call in your case.

(I dove C-53 with Dive-With-Martin in July and Liquid Blue in Oct and would highly recommend both dive operators......Martin provides LP95's upon request, Liquid Blue provides HP 120's as 'standard issue'., for extra bottom time.)

C-53 is a very 'tame' wreck......it sits perfectly upright underwater, and all the doors have been removed, lots of hatches/openings in the sides, guide ropes lead divers through the passages/rooms, so it's a very safe wreck.........you do need decent bouyancy control to manuever through passages and up and down stairwells...and you need to be streamlined, so have octos/guages clipped-off so you don't drag/snag anything.......and in a few places you'll need a modest light as otherwise it can get a bit dark in a few places.

Don't be disappointed at skipping C-53 though......it's a fun dive, but Cozumel is so full of stunning reef systems you could spend a lifetime down there and never get bored.......drift-diving is really awesome.......sometimes the currents really --scream--we did a twlight-night dive where the divemaster, after we exited the water at sundown, estimated the current that time at 5 knots.
( 8 MPH)...........I felt like a cruise missile skimming over the coral terrain...really COOL!

Karl

Wristshot:
Palancar is a really huge reef with several distinct areas, and all have pluses and minuses.

I must disagree. It is indeed a huge reef with several distinct areas, but to me, there are only plusses of different degrees. ;^)

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom