"C" card dives limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
OK, here's one for those in the know. Do dive trip boats/charters put limits on people just holding "C" card? We have been thinking about getting PADI AOW but if no one is ever going to limit our dives because of just holding "C" card I'm wondering wHy spend the $$$$$$.

THX,
Michael B>

mbb97fxdwg:
We have been thinking about getting PADI AOW but if no one is ever going to limit our dives because of just holding "C" card I'm wondering wHy spend the $$$$$$.

THX,
Michael B>
I have never taken a class just to get permission to do some dive. I take the classes to learn something.
On all the boats I've been on, I only show my old SSI OW, and I've never been limited on the dives. YMMV.

Hi Michael,

There are operations that will limit the type of dives you go on. My expereince has been that down south they seems to be less concerned than in Canada. Myself I would only dive with someone who had the skills and experience before diving with them in a unique specialized environment.

I think the second consideration is that every diver should me committed to continung education. You will learn more about the dangers and the considerations for undertaking certain dives. I encourage my students to aim for rescue diver especially if they are planning on diving in remote areas, and away from dive professionals (dive shops, charter boats) So the AOW is a prereq for the Rescue Diver.

Back to your question, Why spend the money?
You get to go diving.
You will learn about diving deeper, navigation and other areas that interest you.
You will likely meet new divers and potential dive buddies / friends
You will be "allowed" to go on certain dives that other may not be allowed.

All the best,

Paul

mbb97fxdwg:
OK, here's one for those in the know. Do dive trip boats/charters put limits on people just holding "C" card? We have been thinking about getting PADI AOW but if no one is ever going to limit our dives because of just holding "C" card I'm wondering wHy spend the $$$$$$.

THX,
Michael B>

The only time I've seen that AOW is 'required' to do a dive is in the Keys on the Spiegel Grove. However, there are a couple of ops down there that will take OW divers who have "proof" of deep dives and experience.

Although we've never been limited to 60' by our dive op because we only have our OW, we are choosing to do our AOW anyway. We particularly want the PPB, deep, and navigation specialties to enhance our knowledge in these areas, and will be adding Nitrox to the training as well.

The important thing for us is that AOW isn't about being "allowed" to dive deeper, it's about continuing our dive education to become safer divers. Our lives are worth more than the cost of the class.

mbb97fxdwg:

THX,
Michael B>

Michael,

Who are we? A Wife, child or other loved one? If all you are going to do is boat dives with DM's and instructors on vacations, then you may be ok to not have additional training. However, If you want to be able to assist your loved one in an emergency and you plan on diving more than a few times a year, you should really think about AOW and Rescue. I know that I want my family and friends to have confidence that I will be able to help in an emergency.

I've been on many trips where divers were restricted according to both diver level and dive totals AND how long since the most recent dive.

For example when diving the catherdrals off Lanai the questions asked when boarding was what level, how many dives and how recent. My wife and I answered and were put in group A. The divers behind us were OW with 5 dives and no dives for 3 months. They were group C.

Group A was able to enter, didn't much it up and then left. Group B was able to enter, mucked it up and made it so that group C never got to enter. We all paid the same for the trip. Group C did have a good dive but were unable to enter because of the medium level divers screwing up.

And as stated there are dive boats that will not allow an OW card holder to go past 60 feet without a professional dive leader, many boats charge extra for this. Hmmm, money that could have gone towards the specialty :)

Depends on your experience (logs) and cert in some operations. Ide go get AOW if it concerns you and you'll learn from it. You can always call ahead. There is plenty to see within the 60 ft area and you;ll have more air to use providing the dive doesnt start below 6o ft.

What you get for your money is the opportunity to obtain some knowledge that will make you a better diver both for yourself and your buddies. Paul's encouragement is right on. Rescue is really the first class where the focus is on helping others not just maintaining your own safety. Being able to help a panicked or stressed buddy is a pretty valuable skill for everyone.

Thanks,

Jason

pjomm:
Hi Michael,

I think the second consideration is that every diver should me committed to continung education. You will learn more about the dangers and the considerations for undertaking certain dives. I encourage my students to aim for rescue diver especially if they are planning on diving in remote areas, and away from dive professionals (dive shops, charter boats) So the AOW is a prereq for the Rescue Diver.

Paul

The only place the we've encounter limits is down in FLA. The boat we go out on will not take OW card holders on deep dives, unless you under the supervision of an instructor or you pay for one of the staff to act as a guide. I here alot about about the dive boats only wanting extra money, but from some of the "stunts" I've seems divers pull...... I'm concerned about having a very unfavorable outcome someday. So if the dive boat does not put limits based on C-card rating PLEASE dive with-in or comfort level, and remember alot of things can happen on the way to the surface from 130 FSW. Additionial training never hurts, plus it exposes you to different task loading under a controled envoriment.
Good luck and never stop learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom