"C" card dives limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you consider the cost of AOW certification includes 5 dives, all of a sudden the cost isn't very high. Then add to that the fact you actually learn skills that will make you less anxious about certain dives (assuming you haven't make deep, night, or drift dives before) makes the cost inconsequential.

Maybe it does not cost more.

Think about AOW course for $230 versus three two tank boat dives for $295

Take the class as a refresher and save $$$

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY ........ that's what its all about these days. I've been diving for over 30 years and seen many changes in our sport. Yes we have better equipment and safety and education is very important but too many dive operations are out for the bucks. Ask before you book a trip and find out what "conditions and restrictions" they have. Talk to the guy about the trip and your experience. Maybe it's too advance for you and he really doesn't want to take a chance of getting sued if you screw up. Very rarely have I been asked to show my Log book (have over 800 logged dives) ...... I have used my old paper YMCA card from 1968 to get on board and purposely ask a bunch of "dumb" questions to see what kind of answers I would get. Bottom line is if you don't like what they are selling then take your money somewhere else. I have had more of a problem with dive shops not wanting to fill my 25 year old tanks.

DeputyDan:
Maybe it does not cost more.

Think about AOW course for $230 versus three two tank boat dives for $295

Take the class as a refresher and save $$$

That's what I did :wink:

btw - I've never had anyone check anything other than my BOW c card yet.

Tim

There are definately oporators that use the recommended limits og the agencies. Around here I know of at least one that won't take divers to the sites that are further off shore unless they are at least AOW regardless of the depth of the actual dive. It's just one of the things that he's found that saves him trouble I guess.

The best reason for taking a class is for what you'll learn in the class. Unfortunately there is no shartage of classes that we take just to get the card and that, IMO, tells us something sad about ourselves and the industry.

MikeFerrara:
There are definately oporators that use the recommended limits og the agencies. Around here I know of at least one that won't take divers to the sites that are further off shore unless they are at least AOW regardless of the depth of the actual dive. It's just one of the things that he's found that saves him trouble I guess.

The best reason for taking a class is for what you'll learn in the class. Unfortunately there is no shartage of classes that we take just to get the card and that, IMO, tells us something sad about ourselves and the industry.
additional education and taking clases is one way to go but I found that "experence" is the best teacher if you survive.......

Many dive operators will limit your diving if you don't present an AOW card. You will get stuck on a boat with other BOWs and will simply not get to do the more interesting dives. In many places you won't even notice that this is happening.

have any of you noticed that the majority of problems with dive operations come from Florida ...... I have dove all over the world and with the exception of France the most problems and complaints about being ripped off some way have come from Florida.

I only use the card I was given in 1978. No one has ever asked for my logbook or AOW,or attempted to prohibit me from doing a dive. On the other hand I know a couple of operators in Florida who will NOT take OW divers to certain sites...Advanced training is wonderful. I take the classes my kids take and the instructors always ask me "why", because I still learn something new every time.

scubapro50:
additional education and taking clases is one way to go but I found that "experence" is the best teacher if you survive.......

And if you don't survive???????

Taking an AOW course is just one step in learning from others mistakes!

The other step is enroling in specialty courses. Oh, and by the way, we may be nice guys but we don't do it for free, and we most certainly will not get rich doing it either. If you feel it's only about the money, then your opinion is clearly tainted by some personal experience. I want to see new divers become seasoned divers, and I want them to be around for the long term.Taking continueing educational courses is the best way to safely expose them to wider ranges of underwater activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom