C02 hit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like an experience I had earlier this year. I'm banking on bad air, although if you did skip breathing w/o really realizing it, that could also cause similar CO2 symptoms.

So, let me add a total newbee question related to this: I think I've taken a CO2 hit a couple of times -- though the headaches aren't anything people have described here. My breathing has been a bit erratic and I'm trying to control it. I know it's not the air because people I dive with don't have the problem. I also follow safety stop recommendations.

My question, though, is how do I know it's CO2 and not me getting bent?

So, let me add a total newbee question related to this: I think I've taken a CO2 hit a couple of times -- though the headaches aren't anything people have described here. My breathing has been a bit erratic and I'm trying to control it. I know it's not the air because people I dive with don't have the problem. I also follow safety stop recommendations.

My question, though, is how do I know it's CO2 and not me getting bent?

With DCS, you're likely to become symptomatic shortly after surfacing. Unless you have a TON of nitrogen loading (i.e. skipped a lot of decompression).

CO2 is going to affect you during the dive. Especially noticeable when you're deeper or working harder and may be masked by narcosis, or vice versa.

CO2 and narcosis can produce what some call "dark narc" which is a described as a very bad or unsettling feeling by those that have experienced it.

From the description it sounds pretty much identical to what i'd expect from a CO2 hit. Doesn't always effect badly on the dive, maybe a mild headache but can worsen on surfacing.

A fair amount of the time new divers experience CO2 headaches not from breathing wrong at depth on the dive wholely, but more from working to hard on the ascent. As new divers we sometimes work harder than the more seasoned folk.
I'd ask how your ascent went for you and did it seem like you were working either to get to the surface and just as important, once you got to the surface and were getting back on the boat?

I was wondering how deep the dive was? Has this happened to you when you have gone diving but not to a boat site? I am guessing it was the depth and breathing issue but I can't really be sure as I still don't have much experience under the belt. But I did want to know a couple more details about your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom