C4 eLED vs C8 eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick_G

Registered
Reaction score
Hello-

Does anyone have both lights to compare? Some people have posted that the C8 is brighter than the C4, others say there the same. Anyone, Anyone??

Rick

Rick_G:
Hello-

Does anyone have both lights to compare? Some people have posted that the C8 is brighter than the C4, others say there the same. Anyone, Anyone??

Rick

FlashlightReviews did a comparative review and was fairly definitive about the answer; IIRC our own illumiGeek posted here a pretty good explanation of why their answer was reasonable and expect-able.

lairdb:
FlashlightReviews did a comparative review and was fairly definitive about the answer; IIRC our own illumiGeek posted here a pretty good explanation of why their answer was reasonable and expect-able.

I can't believe there is such a website called flashlightreviews.com! Anything you can imagine - on the net!

Can anyone verify that the c4's light diminishes as quickly as that article asserts? I was thinking, if the c4 has a burn time of 6.5 and the c8 has a burn time of 7.75, then wouldn't you get more overall time from having a c4 with 4 spare batteries? Also, I like the size of the c4 for traveling, I was just a little put off when I read that guy's report about the diminishing brightness of the c4 versus c8, I do know that that article is a little old, has anyone who's had exprience with the c4 verify that claim?

funkyspelunker:
Can anyone verify that the c4's light diminishes as quickly as that article asserts? I was thinking, if the c4 has a burn time of 6.5 and the c8 has a burn time of 7.75, then wouldn't you get more overall time from having a c4 with 4 spare batteries? Also, I like the size of the c4 for traveling, I was just a little put off when I read that guy's report about the diminishing brightness of the c4 versus c8, I do know that that article is a little old, has anyone who's had exprience with the c4 verify that claim?

I use the C4 because, as you stated, it's more compact and travels better. You can solve your dilemma, save money and help the environment by just getting a set of four rechargeable C-batteries. You don't need to get ripped off on the expensive "recharge kit" that UK makes. You can order the batteries for about $15 here http://www.onlybatteries.com/ and pick up an inexpensive charger at Radio Shack

Now I just bring the light, 4 batteries and charger, and power up my batteries on the hotels' tab :wink: I also do 20 to 30 night dives a year locally, and have saved a small fortune.....

Scott

For what it's worth, my C8 loaded with NiMH C cells is quite a bit lighter than full of alkalines. The bright settings won't be quite as bright since NiMH only put out 1.2V vs. 1.5V for alkaline.

I already have some rechargeable batteries and a charger, i agree that you save a lot of $$ and a lot of environment. I am interested in getting an led torch so that maybe I can leave the charger at home. I have a friend with the c8 eled and he's done about 14 dives with it and hasn't changed the batteries yet. I'm just wondering if the c4 holds its brightness well or if, like the article in the earlier post asserts, its brightness diminishes much more quickly than the c8 eled.

ScottyK:
I use the C4 because, as you stated, it's more compact and travels better. You can solve your dilemma, save money and help the environment by just getting a set of four rechargeable C-batteries. You don't need to get ripped off on the expensive "recharge kit" that UK makes. You can order the batteries for about $15 here http://www.onlybatteries.com/ and pick up an inexpensive charger at Radio Shack

Now I just bring the light, 4 batteries and charger, and power up my batteries on the hotels' tab :wink: I also do 20 to 30 night dives a year locally, and have saved a small fortune.....

Scott

Android, the eLED C8 is regulated, so it will be just as bright on rechargeables as Alkalines.

The eLED module used on both the C4 and C8 models is the same. Since the 5W Luxeon LED used typically requires about 6.8V, the voltage of the 4 cell model is too low for the regulation circuitry to function and the LED is just directly driven off of the bateries. If the module had been designed with a proper buck-boost regulator then they would be equal in brightness, but the C4 model would give far less run time. It appears that it is a buck only regulator so the C4 model under-drives the LED. This gives less brightness, but longer run time (which may be why UK did it this way).

I actually did a battery holder to put 9 AA cells in the C4 model for full brightness with the smaller body. Then I promptly lost it. :( Now I'll have to make another one, I guess.

I've also thought about swapping the 5W Luxeon for a 3W. This would allow full regulation with the 4 cell, and give a tighter focus. Haven't gotten around to checking the regulation circuit to see if will be compatible (if it's current regulation, it should be; if it's voltage regulation, it won't work).

Aloha, iG

Back
Top Bottom