C4 eLED vs C8 eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

illumiGeek:
Android, the eLED C8 is regulated, so it will be just as bright on rechargeables as Alkalines.

The eLED module used on both the C4 and C8 models is the same. Since the 5W Luxeon LED used typically requires about 6.8V, the voltage of the 4 cell model is too low for the regulation circuitry to function and the LED is just directly driven off of the bateries.

Cool, I was thinking it was unregulated for anything above the "low" setting and I'd be taking a 20% hit on "high" vs. the alkalines. Now I won't mind using my NiMH batteries so much.

illumiGeek:
I actually did a battery holder to put 9 AA cells in the C4 model for full brightness with the smaller body. Then I promptly lost it. :( Now I'll have to make another one, I guess.

What about 54 AAAA? :)

Simple terms, then:

The C8 eLED is fully regulated and will give a bright and very even/stable light output (will not gradually dim) until the batteries drop below approximately 7V at which point there will be a noticeable drop in light output and then a slow dimming until the batteries are depleted.

The C4 eLED is only regulated in low mode. In high mode it is already below the regulation threshold and will gradually dim during use. It is still quite bright for a light of its size.

The C8 eLED will give the same brightness on Alkaline or Rechargeable batteries. The C4 eLED will probably be dimmer on Rechargeables.

Both eLED lights produce a much "whiter" light than Halogen or Zenon based incandescent lights, and this whiter light penetrates water far better. So even if the Halogen lamp version seems brighter in the dive shop, it's a different story under water.

Aloha, iG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom