Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have had this issue a number of times going to the south pacific, but each airline is different. I have to fly SriLankan Airlines and they have a limit on cabin baggage. One piece and a backpack is not considered a personal item. I usually carry my camera equipment in a backpack i can fit under the seat in front of me and a small roller bag that fits the dimensions and can go overhead. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this airline or other airlines in regards to UW camera equipment. I've never checked any of it before and my roller duffel I keep my housing, ports and strobes in is a soft case. This has worked so far. Just really nervous for these flights, not worried about my other carriers.

I travel on all sorts of local, small, regional, and large airlines that all have 7kg total for cabin baggage. I have a 7kg backpack and a 16kg camera rolling bag. It has never seen the belly of a plane and has always been let through. They ask to weigh and as I place it on, I open it up to explain its camera equipment and fragile/expensive. They have always let me on.

I carry a Scott E Vest trenchcoat with a dozen plus pockets in case I am ever denied. It doubles as my plane blanket. My plan would be to evacuate the essentials into the large pockets and carry it by hand then check a near empty bag. It doesn’t count it I’m “wearing” it. :wink:

I average 14 flights a year with these limits and have not had a single issue in the last 2 years.

I travel on all sorts of local, small, regional, and large airlines that all have 7kg total for cabin baggage. I have a 7kg backpack and a 16kg camera rolling bag. It has never seen the belly of a plane and has always been let through. They ask to weigh and as I place it on, I open it up to explain its camera equipment and fragile/expensive. They have always let me on.

I carry a Scott E Vest trenchcoat with a dozen plus pockets in case I am ever denied. It doubles as my plane blanket. My plan would be to evacuate the essentials into the large pockets and carry it by hand then check a near empty bag. It doesn’t count it I’m “wearing” it. :wink:

I average 14 flights a year with these limits and have not had a single issue in the last 2 years.
You have been very, very lucky. I have been forced to check camera equipment, with some airlines much worse than others (and all of them highly inconsistent). Small planes with limited overhead storage can almost guarantee your roller gets gate checked. Again, flight attendants might or might not accept your camera argument. Thus, the Scott E vest or equivalent. The problem is less breaking the camera down than needing to check the housing. When it becomes a major PITA is when the supplemental weighing happens at the gate. Backpacks tend to get less scrutiny than roller bags though. There have been a few airports over the years that weigh and measure at security and then send you back if oversize/overweight. This included Heathrow at one time, but that was years ago. I now choose, to the extent I am able, the few airlines with more reasonable limits when I carry camera gear.

On every airline's ticket it states that you are not to check in valuables which includes cameras. It's all there in small print. Also you are not supposed to check in lithium batteries.

I am traveling with 16kg roller that has airline carry on dimensions, plus an 11kg photo backpack. Plus a 20-23kg checked in bag with dive gear. The cheaper airlines try to squeeze me to check one of my carry on bags in. I am very polite and explain that my UW camera cannot be checked in. I do offer them to open the bags and show the camera and strobes. I haven't ever checked my camera bags in. As soon as you are in the cabin, you can put both bags up. Make sure you are on the plane early and they still have space.

In Philippines, Cebu Pacific have same rule 7kg carry on and one small personal item. I just show them the camera equipment and after they ask their supervisor they let me go.

In Fiji, on an island hopper they weigh you with your carry on but I was still allowed 2 carry on bags and 1 checked in bag.

Never raise your voice or get angry. Always be polite and say thank you. It goes along way.

On every airline's ticket it states that you are not to check in valuables which includes cameras. It's all there in small print. Also you are not supposed to check in lithium batteries.

I am traveling with 16kg roller that has airline carry on dimensions, plus an 11kg photo backpack. Plus a 20-23kg checked in bag with dive gear. The cheaper airlines try to squeeze me to check one of my carry on bags in. I am very polite and explain that my UW camera cannot be checked in. I do offer them to open the bags and show the camera and strobes. I haven't ever checked my camera bags in. As soon as you are in the cabin, you can put both bags up. Make sure you are on the plane early and they still have space.

In Philippines, Cebu Pacific have same rule 7kg carry on and one small personal item. I just show them the camera equipment and after they ask their supervisor they let me go.

In Fiji, on an island hopper they weigh you with your carry on but I was still allowed 2 carry on bags and 1 checked in bag.

Never raise your voice or get angry. Always be polite and say thank you. It goes along way.

Emphasis on the last about being polite is so true. I have been on flights that only fit backpacks and not even international sized rollers (19”) in the overhead compartments. I was encouraged to check it as they said it wouldn’t fit but the nice thing about my ThinkTank International 3.0 is that it can fit under the seat if needed. :)

With that said, I know professional photographers and have friends that check camera equipment regularly in large Pelican Air cases and have it all insured who have not had issues yet.

Read the fine print on the website. Camera equipment (reasonably sized personal), computers, prescription meds, and some other things often don't count towards weight. I pack that stuff in a "module" in my carry on so I can pull it out when it comes time for weighing.

Bigger stuff, like dome port and housing - you can use a Peli case, but that adds so much weight. I have individual protection for those - Kydex with foam. Doesn't weigh much and you can drop them in any checked bag. I hate checking them because they are valuable, but I'm not worried about damage.

Cargo pants/shorts and a photographer's vest are your friend. Never thought of a trench coat that @outofofficebrb mentioned. A great idea.

Read the fine print on the website. Camera equipment (reasonably sized personal), computers, prescription meds, and some other things often don't count towards weight. I pack that stuff in a "module" in my carry on so I can pull it out when it comes time for weighing.

Bigger stuff, like dome port and housing - you can use a Peli case, but that adds so much weight. I have individual protection for those - Kydex with foam. Doesn't weigh much and you can drop them in any checked bag. I hate checking them because they are valuable, but I'm not worried about damage.

I think having a separate module or something that you can easily pull out/show in a compelling manner is what is key. My rollerboard just unzips and it is a photography specific roller with the different padding arrangements and equipment easily visible. I have gotten the wide-eyed look when check in and gate agents confirm the weight of the rollerboard but as I put it on I am also unzipping it immediately and before they can say no, they say it's fine. :wink: Mr. OOO uses a Fjallraven photo insert as part of his carry on and he can easily unzip that to show as well.

Cargo pants/shorts and a photographer's vest are your friend. Never thought of a trench coat that @outofofficebrb mentioned. A great idea.

If anyone decides to purchase from Scott E Vest, they always have 30% codes regularly so don't buy anything regular priced! Unfortunately, I don't think they make a trench for men, but the one I have is here: Women's Trench Coat - SCOTTeVEST I suppose if I didn't tell and you didn't tell, it could be unisex..Just buy a bigger size.

Low hanging fruit would be to purchase a jacket which you can also use as your travel jacket or when it gets chilly on a liveaboard due to air conditioning, cooler core temps, etc. They don't look obnoxiously travel specific so if you don't like the safari vest/photographer vest look, there are some alternatives. :)

A photo backpack tends to get fewer looks than a rolling suitcase (which, in Norwich on KLM will almost certainly be gate checked, and absolutely would be gate checked in Chico, California or Cusco en route to many Amazon destinations). Being polite tends to work better if you get through to the plane and can talk to an attendant (and they are a bit more reasonable on the camera equipment). I did have Virgin Australia relent once on a rolling camera case with an astronomical telescope, and once not. It is always a crap shoot if you are overweight or size - no matter what you are carrying. So, I watch what is happening at check-in, am ready to pull heavy items out (esp. laptops) and place in my vest and just put them back in at the gate. I have been known to check in with almost everything in the vest, then just place the vest in the rolly at the gate. But I have had the gear weighed and checked far more often if it is a rolling suitcase than a backpack (even if you have a small trolly for the backpack).

Wow! Thank you all so much for the feedback! What I've been using has been a Patagonia backpack that I put a sleeve in for my camera equipment and batteries e.t.c and stow under the seat. Fits most of they don't have that footrest. My second bag is a roller duffel, while offering little protection, looks small and most airlines won't weigh. I had problems with Fiji airways years ago and when I went to the Solomons I got scared and last minute upgraded to business so I wouldn't get hassled. I didn't have problems with this system using Silk, Garuda or Japan airlines. I have to fly Sri Lankan airlines from Heathrow and from Colombo. However, at this point, I think it is what it is. I will look into the vests or a coat with large pockets. I have a mirrorless camera so all of my uw housing, ports and strobes can fit in that roller with it looking quite flat and not expanded. I guess if worst case scenario happened, I could put my housing together as my small item and my backpack my carry on and just check my strobes, arms/clamps and macro port....

Back
Top Bottom