Cabo Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got some frequent flier miles burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm planning on flying to Cabo sometime in early November. Sounds like from the posts here the most popular hotel is the Westin, and Amigos Del Mar for dive operators.

I'll be taking my non-diving girlfriend with me, so it would be nice to hook up with another diver there. Anyone planning to be there in November?

Also, it would be nice to be able to walk out of the hotel room, put on your gear, and go diving. Any hotels like that around Cabo? The photos I saw of the Westin look like it might have some reefs.

mccabejc:
Got some frequent flier miles burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm planning on flying to Cabo sometime in early November. Sounds like from the posts here the most popular hotel is the Westin, and Amigos Del Mar for dive operators.

I'll be taking my non-diving girlfriend with me, so it would be nice to hook up with another diver there. Anyone planning to be there in November?

Also, it would be nice to be able to walk out of the hotel room, put on your gear, and go diving. Any hotels like that around Cabo? The photos I saw of the Westin look like it might have some reefs.

We stayed at the Westin and loved it; but had to drive into CSL for Amigos. The ocean right there isn't real friendly - the one time they took the black flag down; I hurt my back pretty bad playing in the surf with my husband. I can't imagine trying to walk/crawl in and out in full gear if I couldn't stay upright in a bathing suit :11:

(Of course, I've never actually DONE a shore dive, so that's JMHO)

I'll second Christine's observations. Of course, we were under the influence of hurricane Howard at the time, but they never once took down the black flag on the beach in front of the hotel while I was there. It is pretty rocky right there.

However, if you're up for a little hike, about 1/4 mile west (right facing the water) of the Westin, there is a really nice sandy and much calmer beach. Might be able to do a shore entry there (when not under a hurricane's influence). We were planning on snorkelling there, but decided the surf was a little too rough during our stay.

As for other hotels on the corridor, there is a Hilton and Sheraton closer to CSL and a really nice looking Crowne Plaza in San Jose del Cabo. Can't vouch for the beach conditions for any of those, but they are some alternate choices to check out.

Hope it helps.

mccabejc:

Your non-diving girlfriend might be bored if you stay out of town at the Westin. The cab rides are $35 one way into Cabo from Westin, unless you rent a car.... My favorite resort is Playa Grande - it is away from the noise of Cabo but you can walk about 5 - 10 minutes and you are in Cabo, very nice resort (look it up on Tripadvisor.com) or Solmar - an older resort but nice pool and clean rooms, set in the same area as Playa Grande.
I second the Amigos del Mar choice
have fun :dazzler1:

The Twin Dolphin is next to Chileno beach (well, a couple of hundred yards hike down the beach), which is swimmable/snorkleable/scubable (scubable? scubaeable? scubaable?). It's a bit older, but supposedly very nice. In addition, Cabo Acuadeportes has a satellite shop at Chileno, and they rent some gear there (including a limited selection of tanks, suits, etc.). Chileno beach has a nice rocky reef that's well sheltered from most surf, great for snorkel (logical south side of the beach).

A bit further logical north, the Hilton/Melia/Ventanas complex has a Tio Sports rental place, and the beach there is occassionally swimmable, and has some rock reefs.

The Westin/Club Regina is on an almost never swimmable beach. Pretty to look at, ok to dip your toes in, but good strong surf.

Up along the southern edge of San Jose, the "One and Only" Palmilla claims to have shore diving available.

I think Playa Grande (and definitely Solmar) are on the Pacific Ocean side of Cabo. More secluded, no hustle & bustle, but don't think about swimming on the Pacific side (strong currents, surf).

I'm sure Amigos Del Mar is quite nice. There's a *lot* of outfitters in Cabo, and I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Cabo Acuadeportes is one of the biggest; Land's End is good; I had great experience with Baja Dive; ... November is probably a low-ish season for Scuba; you can probably cut a good deal just walking into a shop and asking for a multi-day discount.

Best of luck & hoping to see a trip report!

Hy

p.s. For food, go to "Sea Queen" (corner of Ave CSL & Blvd Marina). Their desserts are to die for.

Back
Top Bottom