Caleb west, master diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
CALEB WEST; MASTER DIVER
By F.Hopkinson Smith
Grosset and Dunlap
NYC 1898

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" are words well written.

This very old book is a Victorian romance novel that has very little to do with diving; out of 378 pages diving is mentioned in very board strokes in about three pages.

However there is some diving history associated with the book, its title character and its author.

Caleb West is closely based on Thomas A Scott, a master diver who was employed to construct the foundation for the race Rock Light house in the 1870 - (1871-1878.) Later he gained success in the construction world as a partner in the firm of Merritt-Chapman & Scott.

F.Hopkinson Smith was the designer of the Race Rock Light house and befriended Mr. Scott during the construction and their adventures inspired him to write "Caleb West; Master Diver."

A few years ago copies of this book were very common, now they have become increasingly rare and increasing valuable, not as a diving book but because of its title & cover which always looks good on a divers book shelf.

Nope "Don't judge a book by it's cover"

I almost bid on that book once. Now I am glad I saved my $.
Thanks for the review.

James Croft,

Every TRUE diving bibliophile should have a copy in the book case-- not for the book's content but for it's title and cover...

They used to be all over SoCal -- apparently have been snatched up in the past few years..

I suspect Dale C will come up with a copy in short order..
sdm

Back
Top Bottom