California Beach Diver looking to relocate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer:
Okay...so far, I only heard about the Carolinas, and Florida. No one can shore dive year round on the east coast? I do mean shore diving on the ocean. Don't get me wrong, lakes, quarries, and springs are great...but you don't see whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks, rays other then in the ocean.

The NE can be highly developed along the coastline and access may be limited. Additionally, the weather can certainly be prohibitive during the winter months making drysuit and a tough constitution necessary. I have seen New Englanders dive the Cape Ann area during Feb. All I can say is that these NE divers were way tougher than me (native Californian) + I was diving a RB with argon inflate and after one dive I cried mama. :eyebrow:

X

fabasard:
OK, heres a novel idea....Puerto Rico. It's a US territory, so you can still vote, and have pretty good hospitals, its pretty small, comparitively, so access to water shouldn't be an issue. The waters are good pretty much year round. It's to my understanding there are no taxes (could be wrong there). Weather should be good pretty much all the time. GOD KNOWS the food would be great. And they speak English. I can think of no negatives, it sounds like (could be wrong here too) that you might be close to retirement age, so you wouldn't have to worry about a job. Whaddaya think?

I just visited there Sunday for a day of shopping with the girls. The island is beautiful from the air. We took the seaplane from St. Thomas over and landed in Old San Juan. It was so strange to see actual highways again and they drive on the right side of the roads (we drive on the left on St. Thomas). There is a sales tax, which surprised me. We don't have sales tax on St. Thomas. Speak english??? Maybe one out of 10 people we asked directions spoke english if that's what you want to call it. Driving was difficult too cause the signs are in spanish.

Ever think of St. Thomas or St. Croix?? It is still the U.S.

Have you actually /been/ to PR? I think if you have, you might change your tune...
IMO, the only PR has going for it is as a hub for American Eagle en route to Bonaire, and even that is only marginally executed.

fabasard:
OK, heres a novel idea....Puerto Rico. It's a US territory, so you can still vote, and have pretty good hospitals, its pretty small, comparitively, so access to water shouldn't be an issue. The waters are good pretty much year round. It's to my understanding there are no taxes (could be wrong there). Weather should be good pretty much all the time. GOD KNOWS the food would be great. And they speak English. I can think of no negatives, it sounds like (could be wrong here too) that you might be close to retirement age, so you wouldn't have to worry about a job. Whaddaya think?

Well...lots of ideas here, but no mention of diving the coast along Texas? You think someone would have chimmed in.

Fish Wrangler:
Also check out the New England Lobstah Divahs forum -- I'm pretty sure the hardier souls can shore dive year round there. However, the cost of living may not be what you want.
There's definately good diving here year round, both from shore and from boats, but contrary to the "it gets cheaper as you go north" notion, it's downright expensive to live up here. Of course... the pay may be higher too.

We're expecting air temperatures well below freezing this weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting a couple of dives in on sunday.

when I said it gets cheaper the farther north you get I was referring to living in Florida! i.e. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale are expensive, as you move up the coast of Florida it gets cheaper. Having been a resident of Gainesville, Daytona, and Melbourne for a total of 10 years I think I can attest to this. Upstate is much cheaper than southern part of the state.

Though not huge amount of sites, there is shore diving on the Florida Panhandle.

what type of work do you do? If you have a specific skill that is only good in a certain geographic area, then people would need to point you that way.

I been a computer operator for over 20 years...I am trying to get out of that field, before my job winds up in India where all computer jobs are going. However I currently in Pharmacy Technician school...but only halfway completed. Just trying to stack the odds in my favor. So hopefully I can also work if can relocate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom